LegacyGT.com

Headunit recommendations?

ParoxysmX

Hi all, I have a 2004 Outback and I'm about to attempt a similar conversion to the one in the HVAC double DIN sticky. I'm completely clueless about headunits, though. Aux input is pretty standard on all aftermarket units it seems, but what I'd really like is to be able to plug my portable hard drive into the USB slot as I have a fairly large collection of music. Ideally I would like to spend as little money as possible to be able to do that. So, any suggestions?

As little money as possible - mechless unit, like Alpine UTE42BT. I had it in my old Legacy 01. I don't know which HU's would work with a portable hard drive. We use a bunch of ultra-compact USB drives Sandisk Cruzer Fit.

One word, KW-V10 ... Or 3 letters, a hyphen, and two numbers.

If your definitely going double-din, you have to accept that its going to cost more than a single-din. That being said, that doesn't mean that you have to spend a TON to get a quality HU with decent features.

Only using HU's that are in current production line-UPS, the KW-V10 is JVC's current intro DD HU. It allows full iPod and/or Hardrive integration along with more than adequate other features that brands like Alpine charge more for.

Alpine is way over priced IMHO and rarely make the top ten best decks, where as JVC, Pioneer, and Kenwood usually are the only 3 on the list. Though usually you have to pay more from Kenwood and Pioneer for many of the features offered by JVC's lower models.

Now when I say "features" I'm not necessarily referring to external integration, voice control, etc. JVC offers 4v out with the KW-V10, for one example, adding to exceptional sound quality from a base unit.

If you're willing to spend more, then there are certainly other options. Keep in mind that the KW-V10 does not have BT, though thankfully, if you must have it, for only a little more you can get the KW-V20BT, which is essentially the same deck with BT added.

Archived