LegacyGT.com

Looking at a 2000 GT wagon

Hi,

I'm going to look at a 2000 GT wagon tomorrow and would like to know what to look for in this car. It has about 144K km. Quite low if you ask me. She is asking a very low $2000 Canadian. These cars fetch way more around these parts.

The story with this wagon is that she bought it, spent a fortune on winter tires but when it came time for an insurance inspection it failed because of a bad brake caliper(s)? Apparently she doesn't want to spend the money fixing it so she is selling it "as is". She also says that the drivers power window switch is no good. She says it comes with the summer tires and rims and runs well other than the problems she listed. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and would have no issues taking on any of these problems. I figure I will have to replace both calipers and pads worst case, a window switch or possibly a motor... I'm not to worried about these things.

Anything else I should look for? I'm not very familiar with these cars. Is there a source for what to look for when buying these cars? I've heard all about the head gasket failures on them. Thanks alot in advance.

I bought a 2000 2.5 Auto GT wagon in March. Points to look out for from my experience.

1. Oil leaks around the engine, lands on the exhaust down pipes and smells. Worst case, creates smoke. Likely culprits, head gaskets, rocker cover gaskets, sump seal, drain plug seal, engine/gearbox seals.

2. Sunroof seals. The steel frame under the rubber gaskets is corroded and affecting the sealing.

3. Stereo and speakers. Had to replace mine, the speaker cones were cracked due to old age. Not a major issue but may give you bargaining leverage.

4. Lower wheel wells close to door sills. There's a little ledge that can accummulate road grime and promote body rust.

Otherwise the usual second hand car nuances.

I picked it up! For a marginal $1800. The engine runs great and transmission shifts smooth. It does need some work other work (which I've already started completing) and has some rust, but it's a winter beater. Most notably the rack and pinion steering has two torn boots and looks to be leaking. Calipers are fine and wearing evenly... I did a quick service and lubed the pins just to be sure. The pads on both back and front look to have tons of meat left. It was missing one of the rear stabilzer links so I put a new one of them in.

Congrats man! That's a good deal by most standards.

I had mine up on the ramp last weekend for new front discs and pads and to check on the state of the oil leaks. Noticed a torn steering boot, which is on order. That's my job for this weekend. I'm having a 2 week road trip over Xmas with the family. Need to know she's in top condition.

Archived