LegacyGT.com

Stg 2 OTS = Knock?

AF_3C2

You indicated you have a catted DP, so you should technically meet Cobb's map notes criteria in that regard "... and a turbo-back exhaust system with a high-flow catalytic converter...' without seeing a 3rd or 4th gear WOT pull from ~2k-5k rpm, it's hard to say what the overboost cause might be. On my car, shifting tends to produce the most (albeit brief) overshoot, whereas a single gear pull doesn't show as much (if any) overshoot. Could be WGDC is too high, turbodynamics might be too aggressive, WGDC Intake Air Temp Comp table might need to be adjusted, etc. IIRC the OTS maps are editable, but you'd need to know what you're doing, or get someone on board who does.

I have another file that includes town driving with a 2nd gear pull to redline, but it exceeds the size limit- breaking into two since I also cannot use zip...

This one shows a lot of knock, and causing the DAM to drop to .25, which remained in effect until the end of my commute when it rose back up to .325, and then back to 1.00 on my commute home. But once more, the knock sum went crazy while in town, usually between 3rd and 4th, and for extended amounts of time to result in Fine knock learning and sometimes a drop in the DAM.

Town plus 2nd gear pt 1.csv

Town plus 2nd gear pt 2.csv

How long can I expect to be able to log on the APv3 before free space is used up? Cryo wants to see a longer term log from an ECU reset- but I am also in a holding pattern until I get a used set of injectors back from servicing at DW....

On a related note, I am torn on deciding on a fuel pump. As I see it, there are three major choices:

- DW 65c: Appears to be the most common- drop in replacement. Shop that did my work doesn't trust them though due to reports of quality issues.

- AEM: Shop recommended, direct replacement. No other information.

-Walbro: Requires some modification or third party kit, one of the most widely used in the Subaru tuning community altogether.

Any thoughts?

IIRC the user manual for the AP3 indicates that it can store up to 10 logs, with each one capable of running like an hour or so each. My daily commute is about 20 min each way, and I have no trouble logging the entire drive. I've definitely run longer single logs than that on my AP3.

My car had a DW65c in it when i bought it summer 2013. It ended up needing to be replaced this past summer (was running out of fuel in 4th on the dyno). The replacement has been holding up fine but it's only like a half yr old at this point.

Looks like I may just go with the DW- seems to be the favorite on the forum- did yours fail because of high usage, or do you think it was a quality control issue?

Did another log after an ECU reset- commute home didn't show too much interesting going on- but the commute back to work this morning did. Will see about posting them up- will have to edit/break them up to meet size requirements for site upload.

I'm not sure how long it had been on the car before I bought it, but the symptom was running out of fuel above 5000 rpm in 4th on the rollers. IDC looked fine.

We tested by deliberately running open loop fueling rich above that rpm and in 3rd it dipped rich per the open loop fueling change, while in 4th it spiked lean again. After installing the replacement DW65c, it dipped rich in both 3rd & 4th. After restoring orig open loop fueling values, AFR tracked the way we expected.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a new question- Feedback Knock- it only pulls timing based on knock events, correct? Would the ECU report all knock events on the Knock Sum counter? What other conditions cause the Feedback Knock to pull timing?

I am seeing some situations where there is Feedback Knock pulling timing without any correlating knock events showing on the knock sum.

Rebuilt injectors from DW due to be delivered today- will need to read up on how to swap those to see if I am up for it while still deciding on a new pump or not......

There was a discussion on preemptive feedback knock a while back, maybe on the Romraider forums. I've never seen it happen w/ my 05 OBXT though, knock sum always increments right where FBKC appears in my datalogs.

My knock events are all over the place- as far as gear, load condition, and apparently, day.

Yesterday I got very few knock events on the drive to and from work- and as usual, only in the 2200-2500 rpm range with moderate load. Today, driving the same route, the knock sum counter goes crazy, I get -12 on feedback knock, around -8 on Fine Learned Knock, and my DAM drops to .500, then .375 while driving around town. By the time I am done with the highway portion of my commute the DAM comes back up to 1.000.

Knock events are mostly happening in town, 2200-2500 rpm range and just cruising- usually not gear dependent. They do not happen when accelerating hard- just when cruising and the load changes- like going up a slight hill in 4th at 45-50 mph. Very irritating, and I hope it ends up being injector related- will know once I swap out injectors next week on my time off.

Should the Cylinder Roughness monitor pick up the knock events? I only see this monitor clicking off when in idle.....

Cryo took a look at my last logs and was concerned about my AFRs being too lean- especially with high fuel trims. I just had the shop go over my entire intake system, but Cryo still thinks there might be an intake leak....

I will see about breaking them up and posting them. Sometimes hate working 14 hour days....

• 2 weeks later...

So injectors didn't do much- did appear to make my roughness on idle a bit smoother, but that about it. Got a lean code after the shop did a smoke test- one of the blue T connectors popped off.

Did a custom dyno tune. Shop swears the low end knock is fixed. Putting it on the dyno was the last way they could trouble shoot the knock events without tearing apart the motor, so on the dyno she went.

Picking her up tonight after work- will report back.

Subscribed. I'm literally going through the same issue as you and we seem to have a similar setup mine is 5EAT though. @60k just changed plugs, both OCV, cleaned MAF sensor. Still didn't fix it. Plan on going back to my mechanic to diagnose it again... I'll be sure to let you know if something fixes my issue. Curious if a protune would fix it...

Protune did not fix- lessened it somewhat, but still kept popping up.

Put her back to stock, shop refunded the tune and traded her in. I did not want to risk being in the #nansb club and dropping $6k on a motor- so the wife convinced me to put $6k of negative equity into a "newer" used car that doesn't need as much maintenance or rebuild work- especially since I also had some suspension issues.

Good luck with finding the issue!

Yeah, I feel like I'm getting to that point too...

Smoke test through the intake manifold showed a small amount of smoke coming out of my exhaust... Most likely my exhaust valves are slightly toasty or bent from the previous owner who blew up the OEM turbo (figured that out post purchase).

It's a really fun car when it is working but it does seem to need attention alot. The exhaust valve leak is apparently minor so I'm trying some injector cleaner/mystery oil in the off chance that it's just carbon build up preventing the valve from seating. Enjoy your new car!

Worked great on my 09 WRX- that and the Cobb catted DP.

These cars just seem to hate the mods more I suppose. Missing the turbo and heated mirrors from my GT- take those things for granted until you get into a base model Legacy with no goodies like I am now....

Just keep an eye on your Feedback knock, Fine Learned knock and DAM.

If you keep getting a lot of Fine Learned, it's bad- if you get it with Feedback, it's worse.

If you get a few degrees of Feedback every once in awhile, it's normal.

Keep getting Feedback and Fine Learned, you will lose the DAM- so those are the ones you want to monitor if you fear knocking. You can also monitor Knock Sum, but it is not as useful. I did on mine, just to see the sum counter go up about a 100 within a second or two when the ECU started pulling timing.

If you get e-tuned from day one you will sleep better at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an AP locally 3 days after getting the car and flashed a quick tune, still it went 90k with the stock tune. I ended up needing a bunch of gaskets and hoses replaced but the dealer gave me a warranty (friends with finance manager) Anywho after they replaced it all they did a leak down and compression test. everything was solid. no turbo shaft play or anything so I've been going 35k on stage 1 and the hopes and dreams I'm still okay.

Archived