LegacyGT.com

What to look for when buying 2003 Subaru Outback?

WaNtEdAmErIcAn

I'm going to check out a 2003 Subaru Outback with 53k miles on it at a dealership tomorrow. My Subaru-expert friend, who helped me check out my last legacy (got totaled in an accident 2 months after purchase at the fault of the other driver), is busy and I'm going back up to school Sunday. I know a little about cars but I was hoping someone could give me some insight (in layman's terms) on signs that a headgasket problem has occurred or will occur.

Also, is there anything else that I should look out for?

Well - for a used car, particularly an older one, the condition of major components is key. You'd want to see compression and leakdown tests done, then for the transmission you'd want to make sure it's shifting properly. Check all the fluids - if it's an auto, make sure the transmission fluid doesn't smell burnt. 53k miles is very low, so the car should be in excellent condition and a pretty rare find! You'll want to make sure the interior is in good shape, and most importantly, doesn't smell moldy/musty which would indicate potential water damage. Take a look at the bushings around the car, make sure when it drives nothing clicks or binds around corners, check the brakes and suspension, etc. Check the condition of the tires (specifically for dry rot, given they are potentially originals) - aside from the engine/transmission, any potential issues are very fixable, but they cost money, and can serve as negotiation points for getting the price down. Good luck! Hopefully it's a great car!

Archived