LegacyGT.com

stupid goddamn blinking check engine light!! wtf?!?!

EDIT: SOLVED (SEE COMMENT BELOW)

obd1 (1994) legacy with flashing CEL. ok so to get started, i know how to use the green and black connectors to check codes- the problem i'm having is that they aren't working like they're supposed to!

with both connectors disconnected, the CEL flashes constantly (non-blink code flashing)

with just the black connector connected, the CEL flashes constantly (non-blink code flashing)

with just the green connector connected, the CEL comes on with key on engine off, then turns off when i start the engine. now the next part involves driving for one minute at above 7mph, however, before a full minute has elapsed, the CEL begins flashing constantly (not the blink code type of flashing). it does this every time, and usually comes on after about 20-30 seconds.

any ideas on wtf is going on?? the auto parts store by my place didn't have a code reader for obd1 subaru's, maybe i'll just have to try one farther away

solved it! for anyone with this issue in the future, what i did was leave only the black connector plugged in and drove around for a while (about 20 miles). eventually the CEL stopped flashing and turned solid. after that, i was able to get the blink code with Key On Engine Off as you normally would. so, just leave only the black connector plugged in, and eventually it'll start working like it should

Archived