LegacyGT.com

Is this normal for 5EAT?

legacyshawn

I have a 2008 3.0R 5EAT, I had the rear right side up on a jack stand and with the car in 'Park' and the parking brake disengaged, and I was able to to rotate the right rear wheel with the other three wheels on the ground. The rotation wasn't quite "free", it had a little tension, but i was still able to spin it the wheel all the way around with one hand. There are 80k miles on the car and I just purchased it a few months ago.

This doesn't seem right, unless the center diff is open (disengaged before the park prawl) with the engine off. Is this normal?

Also, does this say anything about the condition of the rear limited slip diff?

it depends on how the parking pawl is engaged in the trans as you say. the center diff int he 5eat is a planetary gear set i think, not a regular ring and pinion with carrier and spider gears. its possible that though the pawl is engages in the trans, it may need to have both outputs of the center diff to move to move the section that has the pawl. if the pawl is only on one of the center diff outputs, then the other output would be free to spin with all the clutch packs disengaged int he trans.

I am not certain on this. logic would assume that the pawl would engage before the the center diff, and that should lock it if the other output is locks by the front wheels being on the ground.

Exactly! I know power still gets to the rears cause I can whip the rear out on hard acceleration on a rainy day. This just seemed odd. If I remember correctly, on my 2.5i with 4EAT, the rear or even front wheel would lock up if other 3 wheels were on the ground with the Transmission in park.

Archived