LegacyGT.com

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 running rough?

After about 15-20 minutes of driving my Subaru, it loses power and sounds terrible, like it's running rough. I have been chasing this problem for awhile now and I have no idea what it could be. The car runs fine and sounds normal when I start it cold and continues to run fine even after it starts to get warm. No CEL, no pending codes.

150k miles.

Any suggestions?

Here's a list of what I have done so far:

Head gaskets

Timing belt, tensioner and pulleys

Cleaned MAF, IAC, EGR and throttle body

Replaced fuel filter and air filter.

Replaced spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Coil pack also replaced.

I am thinking of changing all the vacuum lines and possibly even the fuel injectors, but would these cause a problem only after the car has been running hot for a while?

Could a bad PCV cause an issue?

Please help, this is driving me crazy!

is the timing correct?

no codes?

sounds a little like it could be something heating up and then being wonky,

like a cam or crank sensor.

or even the fuel pump.

do you have good fuel pressure.

I'll get back to you on the fuel pressure but I do believe the timing is correct. I wouldn't think the timing would cause an issue only after the car heats up. The mechanic I go to for major repairs has a very good reputation and he can't figure it out. I am assuming he checked fuel pressure but I will ask him.

No codes at all, nothing. Are cam and crank sensors do it yourselfers or does the whole engine have to come apart for those?

the wife's 02 forester had an issue with losing power intermittantly after being at highway speeds for about 25-30 miles. but would run fine at city speeds all day long.

Went through a butt-load of oil too. swapped out the pcv valve and all is good so far.

When idling no oil smoke or smell was detected and at highway speeds no one had their nose back there to smell and again nothing was seen but the tail pipe was sooty inside.

I can still hear it running rough in park. It almost sounds like the timing is off. Is this possible? How can I check this?

Update: Removed the left and right timing belt inspection covers and inspected cam timing and all the marks line up. Upon doing this, I noticed that a 1/2" sized rubber hose coming off of the left head was not hooked up to the air box like the right one is. Reconnected it. Will have to drive the car later today for awhile to see if there is a change, but I am wondering if that could have been the problem all along.

Test the resistance across the pins of the injectors before you replace them.

A bad MAF has never triggered a code in my experience. Cleaning them hasn't really helped me when I had a bad MAF either. I am also sick of using junkyard MAFs as well. So I just shelled out the $130 for a new one. Hard to say if that will fix your issue and it sucks throwing parts at the car hoping it works. A new MAF made my car run a lot better so it was worth it.

Test the resistance across the pins of the injectors before you replace them.

A bad MAF has never triggered a code in my experience. Cleaning them hasn't really helped me when I had a bad MAF either. I am also sick of using junkyard MAFs as well. So I just shelled out the $130 for a new one. Hard to say if that will fix your issue and it sucks throwing parts at the car hoping it works. A new MAF made my car run a lot better so it was worth it.

What would the resistance readings be on a good working injector?

do yourself a favor, and replace ALL of the clamps on the vacuum lines. I did a lot of maintenance, and made sure to put all the factory clamps on, and had the same problems you're describing. Once I started replacing the factory clamps with new worm clamps, i realized how worn the old ones were.

After the new clamps were on, it ran like a top and haven't had an issue since!

Archived