LegacyGT.com

how "rare" is my model GT?

New to the forum! Just bought my very first Subaru. Got hooked on the MCM gramps build and had to have a Legacy....LOL

Anyhow, I bought a '98 Legacy GT Wagon with a 5 speed in black. I had been looking for a Subaru on Craigslist here in the Bay Area for a few weeks and had not seen another one.

Cars got 177K and runs great. Appears to have been well maintained. I am a mechanic but I am mostly the "alignment" guy and don't get much time changing timing belts and the sorts.

The P/S pump has a leak and it looks like the valve cover and oil pan may be leaking as well. Seems easy enough to fix.

Great info on these cars here. Been using the hell out of the "search" button!

The quirkiness of Subaru wears out fast after you start working on them:rolleyes:

Change out the spark plugs and wires while you do the valve cover gaskets. You'll be taking out more than half of what makes up the engine bay out to get to them.

You'll have to lift the engine to be able to change out the oil pan gasket and make sure you have a good selection of wobble extensions!

Welcome and good luck.

The quirkiness of Subaru wears out fast after you start working on them:rolleyes:

Change out the spark plugs and wires while you do the valve cover gaskets. You'll be taking out more than half of what makes up the engine bay out to get to them.

You'll have to lift the engine to be able to change out the oil pan gasket and make sure you have a good selection of wobble extensions!

Welcome and good luck.

Really? I had no idea to change the oil pan gasket that you had to lift the motor. Is that the only way or is there a tougher way to change it out without lifting it? I just bought a Fel-Pro for my 2.2.

I watched brianmobile1 change one on his youtube channel. He lifted the motor about 1" and removed the oil filter and loosened the oil cooler. Looked easy enough. I might just go with Toyota gray sealant instead of a gasket.

Archived