LegacyGT.com

Improving audio in 2009 Legacy? (new to this)

vindeeezel

It has the H/K 'premium' system but there's almost no bass and the back speakers are barely audible. I'm not looking for something you can hear from blocks away, but I'd definitely like some bass and if I can keep total cost under $500 that'd be great.

So is it okay to replace just the back speakers, or would the front ones sound underpowered? Can I get away with just replacing the sub? Would love any recommendations, just bear in the mind the stock amp is 385W according to Subaru

There are people that have replaced the rear deck sub with a better aftermarket 8" sub. I know I've seen at least one write up about it recently. I'm sure you can find it if you mess with the search a bit.

If all you want is more bass, there's that option. Also, the HK system has an extra audio out for another subwoofer. You could add an OEM under-seat woofer.

IMHO, if you're going to replace door speakers, do them all. I'm a JBL man myself. 6.5" all around in the doors. You'll need to either buy spacers or make some for them to fit. I know there's a member that makes and sells them here, but again you're going to have to use the search as I can't remember the thread.

Massive Audio, Infinity, Polk Audio are also other good brands that you can't go wrong with. I'd search eBay and see if you can find a complete unused set of Eclipse speakers. Unfortunately they don't sell to the US or the general public anymore. They really made some of the best car audio equipment back in the day.

Thanks! My only concern now is if the stock amp can power the new components. I'm looking at a pair of speakers that are rated 180W, so if I install four that's nearly maxing out the amp. What should I do about the sub? Are sub/amp combos easy to install? One of the reasons I didn't want to replace the stock amp was it involved taking apart a lot of things I didn't want to take apart (at least based on the video I saw)

First off, I need to correct a mistake I made in my previous comment. The HK system has a 6.5" in each front door along with a 1" tweeter. Rear doors have a 4" speaker along with a 1" tweeter.

Ok, with that out of the way, I'm sure the 180w is MAX output. RMS is most likely 50 or 60 watts. You'll be just fine with adding them to the factory HU.

As far as I'm aware, it would be extremely difficult to add a mono amp and sub to the factory HU. You would need to upgrade the stereo with an aftermarket. But I could be wrong. I've installed a crazy amount of stereo systems, but never installed an amp to a factory HU, besides a high end one like when Toyota used to use Eclipse all-in-one NAV units.

Archived