LegacyGT.com

Suspension issue with potholes/drops in pavement?

robmat

Ok, so this may be a little tough to describe but here goes:

When I drive over small or large potholes or drops in the pavement, the suspension seems to drop/bump. It feels kind of loose or like the wheel rapidly drops for lack of a better description. Almost like a reverse bump. This does not happen happen when I hit a raised bump. It also seems to only be the front of the car that is affected.

I am currently running Koni's with Epic springs, Moog front links, stock sway, and Whiteline control arm bushings.

I am not quite sure what to check or look for or what may be going on. I have checked to make sure all bolts, nuts, etc. are tight and unbroken.

I will add more info as I think of it...thanks for any help you can offer!

Robmat

I would check for leaks on the strut damper rod. Sounds like you have compression damping (normal raised bumps) but that there is a lack of rebound control (depression bumps in road) which is causing the wheel to drop quickly. If there are no leaks you may simply have valving internally to the shock that does not support "street" comfort for daily driving. OR depending on how old the struts are they may be due for a rebuild...

do you feel a skipping sensation if you are turning and you hit a bump, like there is a momentary lack of steering capability? That would be a good indication of a blown strut.

OK, I'll check for leaks ASAP. The struts are about 6 months old. They replaced worn stockers that did hop over bumps in corners. I don't think that is currently happening, but the "bump" feeling is more prominent while turning. I've also notice (which may be completely unrelated) that wheel sometimes feels like it "turns back" the opposite direction ever so slightly while in a turn or turning.

I have been playing with the adjustment on the struts and wondered if I had gone too far in either direction. I'll keep up the search for loose things...

Thanks for the help!

This is less likely but an easy thing to check for,

If your tierod end ball joint is worn too much it may cause freeplay in the steering/control arm...if you jack up on front wheel (side of car) only you can you can wiggle the wheel around by hand (without the steering wheel moving) you've got a bad ball joint. They can sound very similar to the clunking noise that suspension would make,

Cole

Archived