LegacyGT.com

$20k for next car?? AWD and turbo...

Hey guys, its been almost 2 years since I sold my Stg3e legacy gt and I'm looking to get back into a similar car soon. Your input and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Requirements

-$20k budget - could stretch to $25k if the ideal car came around (If I buy a car under budget I fully plan to use the left over $ for "improvements" :rolleyes:

-AWD or some form of it

-Forced induction. I'm a mile high and go up to mountains a lot so a NA car isn't on my wish list

-Auto trans of some sort....I know I know but my daily commute is a lot of stop and go and the auto makes life easier. So Im assuming a 4 door, wagon or hatchback would be best too.

-MPG is important but not as much as the other requirements

The car will be my DD 98% of the time, so no high strung unreliable beast needed.

My initial thoughts are limited to the usual suspects(hence your input needed), Audi 2.0T's, BMW's newer 3 series with 2.0T, caddy ATS, 2.5T Volvo....:spin: possibly a new as possible leggy GT 2.5....

So let me know what you guys would do if you had to replace your DD soon and this was your budget/requirements. Thanks for the input

I'm not looking for a new car. The Audi's A3 a4 and BMW's 328 that I see are all a 1-3 years old with 30k miles or less. But he long term maintence part scares me on those.

Ford Fusion isn't going to be sporty enough for me, if they made a AWD Focus ST that would be a great... but

If you still need some ideas, the Taurus SHO is a good sleeper, if you can find it in budget that is. From what I've seen, with minimal modifications it is pretty damn quick too. Not sure if these have any problems, but it is a Ford, the parts shouldn't be too expensive.

As for German cars, there is a reason why they depreciate so fast... Everyone I know has had problems with them, whether expensive maintenance or for Audi especially, drinking tons of oil. I was actually considering an Audi A4 before I purchased my Subaru, but the cost of everything and difficulty making it fast made justifying the luxury impossible.

Good luck with your search.

As for German cars, there is a reason why they depreciate so fast... Everyone I know has had problems with them, whether expensive maintenance or for Audi especially, drinking tons of oil. I was actually considering an Audi A4 before I purchased my Subaru, but the cost of everything and difficulty making it fast made justifying the luxury impossible.

I agree. My brother in law is a BMW technician and recommends buying certain models because he knows everything that'll go wrong with them and can fix them in advance(not really confidence inspiring...especially considering they went with a new Honda). My friend's 5-series xDrive(not sure of the year, but it's the turbo 6-cyl model) has been in the shop a couple times, and even had one or both of the turbos replaced. She's owned it for maybe 4yrs. The Audi seems more problematic and according to a friend that has owned a few, a PITA to work on(I think someone brought up; they're not that powerful either. My swapped LGT was easily able to walk his V8 S4). The VW guys have much better luck, though I don't know of any AWDs. I've never heard anything about the Volvos or Cadillacs. They look nice though.

Given your price range, I think another Subaru would be the best deal. Earlier Fusion AWDs had the sport suspension available...but that might be hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine is a long term Audi owner, including an S4 wagon a few years back (he was very surprised how quick the LGT wagon was, btw). His advice? Never have an Audi that does not have warranty or extended warranty coverage. His view is that it's not that they are unreliable, but parts and labor are expensive - just like a Benz I suppose.

It is an interesting question for me, as I have been contemplating options if the family LGT Wagon starts getting expensive and/or unreliable (we have had it from new). About the only option I can see apart from Audi for a smallish AWD wagon is the 328 X drive - similar power/torque to the GT Wagon, but bigger/heavier with no stick shift option - and a whole lot pricier. The previous gen I think was still auto only.

Archived