LegacyGT.com

Starting issue

The last couple of weeks a starting issue has cropped up. I put the key in the ignition and turn it, all the dash lights come one, headlights, accessories, etc., but the starter doesn't turn over. I will then try again a time or two and it will fire up instantly like it used to.

I have checked all the battery grounds, they look great. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

I replaced the neutral safety switch (4EAT) a year or two ago and I don't think I aligned it perfectly when I installed it. The orange stripe on the shift indicator isn't exactly aligned with what you see on the gauge cluster so I am thinking that may be what is causing the problem.

The neutral safety switch is held on by a few screws and is bolted to the transmission and there is a procedure to align it which wouldn't be a problem if the car was NA but the downpipe is in the way and the only way to get to the switch is to remove the downpipe so I haven't really wanted to remove it.

Another question related to the starter is when it is dark out and I touch the key to the ignition I sometimes see a tiny spark. So I don't know if that is normal or not.

Spark with ignition could be static. Do you wear mostly synthetic clothing. If so be careful filling up with fuel. I.e touch car before fueling up.

When it does not start next time, hold key on start and move shifter. This should give you an idea if neutral safety switch is out of alignment.

Then it could be the solenoid contacts in starter motor.

Or even contacts in ignition switch.

So the starting issue is back. And now my stereo is cutting out randomly. Last time the stereo cut out I had to run a ground from the head unit directly to the chassis so I'll pull the HU and check that as well.

Yesterday when it wouldn't start, I released the brake pedal and then it started. I thought it would only start in park with the brake on but I guess not.

This morning it wouldn't start, I wiggled the shifter back and forth and no start. I tried about five times, then I turned the headlights off and then it started.

I'll start by testing the alternator when I get off work today. Maybe it is going bad and not able to fully charge the battery or handle the load from the stereo (have two 10" subs in the trunk).

I'm not sure how to test the starter or the ignition contacts.

edit: I am researching how to test the starter online so that's on the list.

Anyone know where to get new contacts for a starter online? - EDIT: found them here: http://www.discountstarterandalternator.com/p-35140-solenoid-repair-rebuild-kit-acura-lexus-subaru-toyota-plunger-contacts.aspx?CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CjwKEAiAnLGjBRCk_I-y_4iAmB0SJADGjWWz4nrJqBhp5VnbYD-T4O6lqO4FeSsk2XbLAvWw1gv84BoCqB3w_wcB

But I found a local shop that is going to sell me the contacts so I'll pick them up after work.

Have you done the grounding mods? Test it with some jumper cables, run a ground from - of battery to engine and another one from - of battery to a chassis grounding spot. this will tell you if the factory grounds are insufficient, which they usually are once an amp gets installed.

Archived