LegacyGT.com

Buying a 2000 LGT wagon 5mt

JBisson

So first off I would like to just say hello to everyone. I am brand new to this forum as of today.

To get right on with it, I found this add on Craigslist: http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4722468512.html

I have a couple of questions

1 what do you guys think of it? I know it has some rust but the body rust is in the early stages and still salvageable

2 I do know that the car has some sort of over heating issue and I'm wondering what you think it could be?

3 I know it is kind of over priced so I was going to try to get it for around $1200. Does this sound reasonable?

I also just want to say that this would be my first car and wouldn't be needing to drive it until June so it needing a bit of work isn't that big of a deal.

Should I pursue this deal or shy away and keep looking? Any response is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's your first car -- don't get too attached, no matter what you decide. For 2k, that's actually a pretty damn good price, and, I doubt the seller would really take 1200 for it. 15, maybe. But be prepared for that to be the lowest they'd go.

It runs and drives, however, I'd ask about it's service history. That particular generation has a history of blowing head gaskets, so, if it hasn't been repaired in the last 188k (or, even in the last 75k), you should think about having that done, or at least, prepare for it. Not a terrible job if you want to DIY, and not terribly expensive --about $800-K-- if you take it somewhere to have it done for you.

For a first car, it's not bad. Don't sink any more money into it than you'll have to, to keep it running you back and forth to school and work.

Understand this now: There's nothing you can do to make it faster. Any mods will be a waste of time and money. You wanna pursue that kinda business, you'll need to break out the big bucks and step up to a Fourth Gen GT. I suggest you wait on that until after you're 25, out on your own and making good money. Your insurance rates will thank you for it, at the very least.

Overall, though, if I had to buy it for a boy's first car, that'd be a prime candidate. Besides, before you're done with it, only one of you will survive the other. :D

Ok thank you felt your input. I will be going to look at it on Sunday. The only mod I would really want to do is an exhaust to exploit the boxer rumble. The seller has told me it has overheating issues and from what I've read this could be related to head gaskets. Do you think that is the issue?

Ok thank you felt your input. I will be going to look at it on Sunday. The only mod I would really want to do is an exhaust to exploit the boxer rumble. The seller has told me it has overheating issues and from what I've read this could be related to head gaskets. Do you think that is the issue?

Most likely.

Just keep looking, you dont need it until June anyways. Youll definately be able to find another car by then that isnt already about to shit the bed

Well my only problem is my budget is around $2000 and everything I've found under or around it needs work

Well my only problem is my budget is around $2000 and everything I've found under or around it needs work

Sadly, in this America, one cannot buy a used car for 2k that doesn't need work. Not unless it's from a friend or family who's giving you a good deal. And even then -- It's only a matter of time.

But, the upside is that every boy should know how to wrench on the car he's driving, at least for the first few. Yes, technology is nice, but, until we all drive batteries, guys should know what's going on under their hoods.

Archived