LegacyGT.com

front engine skid options

about a month ago i put in my catless up pipe and finally got rid of the remaining scraps of plastic that was the stock engine tray. now that winter is approaching, id like to get it covered up again.

while doing the up pipe i took the heat shields off while dropping the headers and they were not salvageable, completely rusted and falling apart. so im looking for recommendations. do i get a new stock plastic tray? do i get an aftermarket aluminum/steel skid? i go down some dirt/gravel roads for work, nothing to bad, some small roots and rocks (never bottomed out). also is it worth getting the stock heat shields again or should i just wrap them in something to hold the heat in better.

thanks a lot!

if you're handy you could probably make one pretty easy out of aluminum sheet, in fact I seem to remember a thread where someone posted dimensions for that.

I have a primitive racing unit. its a great skid plate, but I don't love the mounting system. there's a couple more brands out there, but they are starting to get scarce.

the car is designed to have that plate underneath for both protection and intercooler/radiator airflow.

I wouldn't wrap the headers, that'll just make them rust more quickly.

I tried the sign method the other day. I screwed a 2x4 to my work bench, and slid the sign under it in order to make some bends for the rad offset mounts. I slid it under, then used a C-clamp on the other side. I started leaning into it to make the bend, then my screw pulled loose out of the left side of the 2x4. The 2x4 pivoted and smoked me right in the face, right on my orbital bone and nose. Hurt like a motherfucker.

I'll be buying a primitive plate.

Archived