LegacyGT.com

It's november again and another coolant leak

Last November my radiator died, coolant leak on the ground. Replaced with a new one.

In August the 2.5 was removed and the 2.2 was installed. A new thermostat was installed.

The leak is below the bend of the lower rad hose. The hose looks good and I am fairly certain that I replaced the hoses when I installed the new radiator. My normal protocol is to replace hoses when I replace a radiator.

When I run my finger around it never comes back with coolant on it. When I stop and let the car sit the spot appears on the driveway.

I have a very VERY keen nose for smelling coolant and when I park the car I never smell it.

Water pump weeping? Perhaps and of course it would happen when the weather gets cold.

I hustled installing my new alternator last week so I would beat the cold. Brrrrr!

Hello;

Had a similar problem with a customers car, turned out to be a loose s/s clamp on the radiator. Check the thermostat housing, had to fix one of these. The weep hole for the water pump is behind the timing cover, above the thermostat, on the drivers side. There is a flange and you should be able to see the hole, Steven.

Already checked the hose clamps.

The leak is increasing in intensity so I crawled under the car with my camera. Here are the pics................

Hello;

Had a similar problem with a customers car, turned out to be a loose s/s clamp on the radiator. Check the thermostat housing, had to fix one of these. The weep hole for the water pump is behind the timing cover, above the thermostat, on the drivers side. There is a flange and you should be able to see the hole, Steven.

PB030086.JPG.566b94362321bc509857b8b587b1ce7f.JPG

PB030084.JPG.e0a35d431d18a3e37ac9bc12ae7cb405.JPG

I took a quick look at the top but didn't use my flashlight.

On the 2.5 I once had the small hoses attached to the throttle body leak but that would be toward the rear of the engine.

Crossover pipe? I know that my buddy had a terrible time replacing a crossover pipe on his caddie. I'm not familiar with it on the subbie 2.2??? If it is the crossover pipe, I assume that I would need to remove the intake?

Crap I just had a new intake gasket done during the 2.2 install.

I'm getting a headache. :lol:

Just looked with a flashlight and can't see anything leaking up top.

Drove the car and it never leaks while the engine is warm.

looks to me that it is either coming out of the timing cover (water pump) or from above, which could be the crossover pipe or any of the smaller lines up there. have you checked the top of the engine for coolant?

yeah that sounds like the water pump to me. I just replaced mine because it was leaking a lot and it looked like it was coming from the lower hose but it was the water pump too. and it got worse really fast

bypass hose,

it runs from the water pump to the heater core.

follow the hose from the water pipe and then the steel pipe that runs to the rear of the block,

and then up.

but it is probably the hose that is leaking,

at the water pump.

It seems to leak after it sits and cools off a bit. Would the bypass hose act that way or would the water pump gasket? Either way I need to pull the timing belt covers to see what is going on in there.

Right now it has been sitting for 1.5 hours and not a drip.

bypass hose,

it runs from the water pump to the heater core.

follow the hose from the water pipe and then the steel pipe that runs to the rear of the block,

and then up.

but it is probably the hose that is leaking,

at the water pump.

Sat all night not one drop leaked down onto the driveway. Hm? It was a warmer night than the previous night. I'm thinking that things shrink in the cold and it is easier for seals to leak. These things usually don't cure themselves and it will come back.

Archived