LegacyGT.com

Rubbing Noises - WRX rear on LGT

I have a 99 LGT - basically all stock.

The rear passenger tire would rub the fender during moderate left turns.

So..

I got some 06 WRX struct/spring combos (craigslist)

Only installed the rear ones so far + camber bolts (set to max neg - still looks pretty positive visually :( )

Now I have a different rubbing sound - from both rears (not 100% positive) - when making moderate left AND right turns

Just did this today and haven't had time to really identify the sound.

It's slightly different than the tire-fender rubbing from before.

Any tips?

Once again, everything else is stock. I do have wrx wheels now vs. steelies. But both wheels are the same size.

Tires are the same width/ratio-rim.

What springs are on the struts you bought? Did this suspension combo change your ride height at all?

From my experience, I think its the springs rubbing on the inner strut tower.

I put factory 04-07 WRX springs + struts onto my wagon and experienced some odd scraping noises when going over large bumps and corners at moderate speeds. I needed to revisit the swap anyway because of the ride height and noticed rubbed off undercoating on the tower.

The saggy butt spacers changed the geometry enough that there is 5mm or so of clearance (barely anything but just enough) between the spring and tower.

They looked like oem springs.

I bought spacers because I didn't want any ride height change, but I could not get the struct in with spacers.

My LGT is a sedan.

With spacers, the tophat would not fit flush against the mounting points. I bought 3/8in spacers.

My ride height, at least yesterday, was only barely different than before. On the stock strut/spring they looked lower than they should have been. I'll check again today

Edit: When you say inner strut tower.. you mean the part of the strut inside the spring?? How is that possible?

Any techniques to check rub spots? I was thinking of putting some colored grease of some kind on key spots and see which ones get rubbed off

i think by inner strut tower he meant the side of the strut tower closer to the engine, look for any spots on that side where the strut has rubbed on the inside of the tower and scratched off the undercoating

When I refer to the inner strut tower, I mean the area you are facing when you are staring into the wheel well. In the cavity where the strut is mounted to the car, it faces the center.

When I overhauled the rear suspension of my LGT, I could barely stick my pinky in between the spring and the body of the car, in this case, the inner strut tower.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/NhanMan/Subaru/IMG_1375_zpscc0efbf0.jpg

Here is a picture of what rubbing will look like. This shows the front towers but the rears looked very similar. Along with undercoating being rubbed off and metal exposed, the spring will show friction marks as well.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/NhanMan/Subaru/IMG_0808_zps245af6af.jpg

I think it's more of a metal on metal sound.

Visual inspection from a friend confirms it is not tire/fender.

And the sound has a... rotating sound to it (does that make sense?) so I has to be something moving.

Brake work was done, so this is the new suspect.

Wish me luck

Side note, there is no sound while braking... only while turning..

It's so odd..

I didn't see your post pingpong.

Yea.. that looks very interesting.

I couldn't get the strut in with spacers because it wouldn't fit...

Is this something that will possible go away if it rubs itself enough space? - going to assume no.

I'll be taking the tire off tomorrow to get a close look. Thanks for the advice/pictures!

Archived