LegacyGT.com

!990 Legacy LS problems, please help

Mikeg

I have a 1990 Legacy and recently I was coasting forwards about 2 miles per hour and shifted it into reverse. It snapped hard and now it seems like it is stuck in third gear. If I put it in manual 1st gear its like hitting the brakes. 2nd is the same but not as bad. But if I drive it in Overdrive it doesnt shift and is in either 2nd or 3rd gear all the time. I dropped the pan and there were no shavings in the pan. Does anybody have a clue what is wrong??? Please help. It has been down for only 3 days and I miss it already. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Usually when you throw a car into reverse from a forward motion you break the lockout pins in the tranny. (newer subys use electronic lockouts, but the old ones use pins) These can be the same as the ones for park. It sounds like you might have the pins partially engaged in all gears which is like being 1/2 way in park. Check linkage first for bends and damage, then unless you know how to rebuild trannys take it to a local mechanic.

Archived