LegacyGT.com

Hey, whats that sound?

Hi all! I own.. ok my wife owns.. Uh, I paid for and do the maintenance on a 2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon (95,000 miles, auto trans). Last fall it developed a bit of road noise from the rear. The development took place over about 3 months and has not gotten noticeably worse since. I thought it was the rear struts, and since we were not noticing any major ride issues, I let it slid until yesterday. I replaced the struts, they where in fair shape, and took it for a drive. My wife and I both thought the noise was less, but maybe by about 1/4, this was obviously not the source of the road noise.

After we got home I took off the rear drum and looked at the brakes, nothing seemed wrong or worn. Nothing my DIY eye could see anyhow. I’m thinking bearings maybe? Or something in the rear drive…

The sound comes in about 20 mph and gets slightly but progressively louder until about 45, after that it does not get substantially louder. Which is not to say the sound you hear at 45 is much louder then the sound you hear at 20, its not, but the road noise at 15 vs. 25 is quite substantial. At 15 it is quiet, and 25 it is quite a noise.

The sound is quite mid-low in effect, like road noise, seems to come from each side equally (or from the middle), and is not affected by acceleration or stopping of any kind (hard, soft, hard brake, downshift braking). It is constant once it starts.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Any replies are appreciated, thanks for reading this.

First check those wheel bearings. Inner and outer. The only thing is that you are saying it is coming from the "middle" that makes me think drive axle issues. Start with the obvious and cheap way, the bearings, and then check drive axle componets. They should be changed anyhow and with that many miles it could be bad bearings on both sides.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived