LegacyGT.com

Think I need to replace my fuel pump

Well I think my pump is starting to crap out which really sucks since I just had the tank out last winter.

I am getting sputtering and bucking at high speed after driving about 5 - 8 miles. After it starts its bad for a few miles then it goes away. Last few time I have been able to get it to sputter while revving and stopped also when I return home after the test drive.

Just to rule out some other things I swapped the maf with another I had and swapped the icm. I also replaced the front 02 cause it was getting some odd readings on my obdlink. It just feels like a fuel pump to me though. I probably should check the fuel pressure though before I swap it.

If I replace the pump which pump would be my best choice? I was thinking about a higher pressure walbro so if i ever swap to a higher hp motor ill have the pump to power it.

I checked all my connections under the hood also but havnt been able to try another coil since I let my spare go with another motor I had. I also replaced my knock sensor/crank sensor/cam sensor last year with the new motor. The coolant sensor on the back of the coolant crossover is also newer.

Hello;

Pull off the return line and see if you getting any fuel back to the tank. Pull the vacuum line to the fuel regulator and check for any gas in the line. In my case the filters were plugged, but the pump was still good. The last Napa kit I installed had a USA pump and all the other bits that is needed. Walbro is another great option. I believe that Bosch also makes a kit. Just a few thoughts, Steven.

Thanks ill check that. What were the symptoms of your car when you had this issue. I went ahead and ordered a walbro so I get it by the weekend. I got 163k on the stock pump anyway and this will give me some room to upgrade engines. I just hope it fixes my issue. My fuel filter is newer also if I did not mention that.

Did you get the pump with the install kit? - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EPQM10/?tag=viglink20901-20]Amazon.com: Walbro GSS341-400-791 With Install Kit Fuel Pumps: Automotive[/ame]

I did a write up installing a Walbro a while back: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/walbro-255-lph-install-diy-198427.html

Well im not sure what to do with this car next. I replaced the pump, coil, plugs, O2 sensor. Most all the parts are newer on this car and the motor barely has any miles on it. It is still missing and sputtering under load when warm. The fpr did not have any gas in the vac line. Only thing I thought was odd when watching the sensors on my obdlink was that the voltage for the o2 sensor would appear to cut out sometimes but I thought this just might be the connection to the reader.

I have got it to miss under high rpm in the garage and tried tapping on the injectors and the tps and nothing seemed to make a difference. All the harness connections seem tight also. Grounds should also be good I had added some extra grounds.

I unplugged and plugged back in the TPS and Crank sensor yesterday and the issue has not returned yet. Never got any codes or anything to point to these but I was trying everything since most everything else was already checked.

Park I went with a Walbro from ebay for less then 100 with the install kit. I do not buy from parts stores unless its a last resort especially autozone.

My car does not seem to hesitate at all from a cold start anymore either but that could also be from the new fuel pump and coil.

Issue returned and I messed with the crank sensor connection some more and no change. My crank sensor is also newer from when I replaced the engine. I ordered a new Hitachi TPS which is OEM from amazon and will see what happens.

I could prob take the time to troubleshoot it some more by heating it up and looking at the voltage by taping the ecu but at this point I wanted to order the part today and have it by Saturday. Messing with the connection to it was also the only thing that cured the issue for a few days.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble tracking this down. If it's any consolation I know how much it sucks chasing a problem and throwing parts at the issue to no avail. Hopefully you get it sorted out soon.

Yeh it sucks. The scan tools do not show too much on the older imports either. I just put a new motor in this thing last year that barely has 5k miles on it so I got to get it fixed. If the TPS does not fix the issue im going to borrow a fuel pressure gauge from my neighbor and check it just to make sure. Yesterday on the way home I could not give it any gas for about 2 minutes on the highway with out it sputtering and backfiring.

Well I really dont was to jinx myself this time but I think it was the crank sensor. Fingers crossed lol. What I get for buying a delphi when i replaced the oil pump and the old one was stuck in the old pump. I just swapped it out though and its running great now. There was no way to diagnose this thing other then the time I unplugged and reconnected it and it was fine for a few days.

Was no CEL.

Archived