LegacyGT.com

2007 Spec B security light always on

Picking up a Spec B this week and seems to have a small issue. The security light is always on solid and not blinking. However, the car runs and drives fine with no other issues. The PO said he took it to a Subaru dealership and they could not figure out why it was on.

I've looked around on here, Nasioc, and ShopKey Pro (basically the guide dealers use when they fix cars. I have access through work) and I can't seem to figure out why it would be on. A few threads I have seen that talk about the security light the people are also having their car shut off right away. In the ShopKey manual it says to test for valet mode or if the security system is on. It said if the security system is off the light will be on and vice versa.

Anyone have an idea of what this could be from? Possible electrical short somewhere since there are no other symptoms?

Dumb question but I have to ask out of curiosity.. What does your key look like? Does it have a chrome key ring or plain black plastic? I'm sure you or Subaru would've caught this, but I'm wondering if you're using the valet key?

Dumb question but I have to ask out of curiosity.. What does your key look like? Does it have a chrome key ring or plain black plastic? I'm sure you or Subaru would've caught this, but I'm wondering if you're using the valet key?

I am not familiar with subarus, at least the small details like that, I will look and find out. Wouldn't the car drive different in valet mode if I was using the valet key?

On the cars I've owned in the past, the only difference with the Valet key is that it can't open the glove box and trunk, it looks like the Legacy is the same way.

*Post #12 in the link below is interesting as well. Since you just got the car recently, I could see a dealer trying to use the wrong key in the ignition by accident. The link below says trying to use the wrong key can set the light off, and it will eventually go away over time. Which makes sense, since you are still able to start the car and drive just fine even with the security light illuminated. From what I've read if the system is really unhappy, the car either won't run at all, or will run for a few seconds then shut off.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/76770-security-light-always-2.html

valet.jpg.e7ef9eb41afa1a444e38fa39493f0a7b.jpg

• 2 years later...

Archived