LegacyGT.com

P0021/P0011, rough idle and misfire - any ideas?

Hi there,

I've had my car for just over a year now, a 2007 Subaru Legacy 3.0. I've come across what I've mentioned below, any ideas or help would be hugely appreciated!

Symptoms:

============================

- A while ago I had the codes P0011 and P0021 reported by the car, but they did go away and car was running fine.

- Lately I had P0301,P0303,P0305 (I'm assuming an entire bank misfired).

- Started the car this morning and it took slightly longer than usual to turn over (maybe about half a second to 3/4 second longer).

- The idle can be rough, if I change gears from 1st to 2nd and if I hold the clutch in, I have had the car actually stall before I engage 3rd.

-In neutral, if I give the car a little bit of gas to get the revs to about 1500RPM, the engine speed will then fluctuate between 1000RPM and 1500RPM even though I've got the gas depressed at the same level.

Other stuff:

- Car has done about 136,000KM

- Full service done at 100k, including spark plugs (by Subaru NZ Stealership)

- Have done oil changes according to guide.

- Air filter changed at about 130k.

- I take the OCV's out every time I change the oil and clean them out.

- Last oil change done about 500km ago.

- Using Synthetic 5w30 (Castrol).

What I'm thinking:

- I'm thinking the OCV's need replacing?

- I've read that timing chain may have an impact?

I've called Subaru NZ and they're about as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike. I was just calling them to see what the part numbers were for the solenoids, but they wouldn't give them out.

I'm trawling through the site and Google now to see if I can find more info and part numbers too.

I think the part number for the front right hand solenoid is 10921AA050.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

After a bit more research:

10917AA020 - Engine Variable Timing Solenoid, Right (rear of head)

10917AA030 - Engine Variable Timing Solenoid, Left (rear of head)

10917AA050 - Engine Variable Timing Solenoid (side of head)

I think I may need two of the 10917AA050 components?

EDIT - wrong parts, check below messages.

Also - just started the car and I don't have the issue holding the gas down and the engine speed doesn't fluctuate now. At higher speeds this isn't really much of an issue, it's an issue around town driving though, especially going through the gears.

sorry, don't know anything about 3.0

Hope it works out!

Thanks man.

It's a weird one, sometimes car runs really fine and no worries at all. This morning she decided to pack a sad and run like this.

No doubt when I start her up this afternoon, she'll probably run fine.

I cleaned the air sensor and throttle body when I replaced the filter and I have read that the car may need to relearn idle - I always thought just disconnecting the battery did that, but (forgot where) found this article that has a long list of steps to reset the computer, so will try that as well.

Finding the model numbers of the solenoids is proving to be a bit of mission, I think I've got them, there seems to be at least 3 different solenoids - will take them out after work and have a nosey.

Thanks for the reply though!

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone has a 3.0 2007 Legacy, these are the actual part numbers:

10921AA070

10921AA040

10921AA050 (x2)

The AA050 parts are at the front.

I ordered them in from Japan at approx $400NZD for all of them. Compared to the Subaru dealers in NZ which charge approx $450 for ONE.

I had to end up calling Subaru Australia - these guys were really helpful and provided heaps of information.

Also - the rough idle was caused by a loose hose from the block (I'm a dumb ass).

I was still getting the DTC's after that though.

So new parts have been fitted, will update the post in about a month to see how she goes.

And also, when you change the valves, it looks like it's good practice to also change the union screw filter (part no: 14445AA090).

If you do a google search for that part number, look at the results of the image search for the 6 cylinder engine breakdown. You'll see the filter at the bottom of the block.

I must say that AVO JDM (http://www.avojdm.com) over in Japan have been really awesome. I originally found out about them when I got a dual DIN faceplate for a new head unit for my car. When looking for the oil control valves, I asked if they can get these parts and yep, sure enough they can.

If you're in NZ and you need Subie parts - try these guys out. They are much better than dealing with the Subaru NZ dealers! And a huge thanks to Derek!

• 2 weeks later...

And just a quick update on this for anyone who has a 3.0 H6 (the second variation of the engine).

After installing the solenoids and the screw filters, car is totally different. Haven't had any check engine lights for over 1000km now and car is noticeable different. Shifts are much smoother and the car is much smoother in second gear at low engine speeds.

So if you get the P0021/P0011 engine codes and misfire codes - it could be the solenoids.

Archived