LegacyGT.com

New Subaru Salesman

Well, I've decided that while I'm waiting for my bar exam results to come in, I need to make some money - running on fumes...

So yesterday I started as a new car saleman for Tom Wood Subaru Indianapolis, IN! Car salesman, lawyer, what's the difference, both are scum.

I think it could be a good time, driving Subies all day, and getting paid to do it (I should be able to drive a spec-Boring before any of you guys:lol: ). I've sold cars before so its kind of old hat for me.

Anyway, if there are any lurkers here in the midwest looking for a new or used Sube, send me a PM and maybe I can help you out.

Chris

- "I've worked with better, but not many."

I am in sales for Carmax in the DC Metro area and I must say that I am far from being scum. Most people I help purchase a car say that I am genuine, honest and very helpful. I do agree that most car sales are scum yet when haggling is out of the way and the fact that my commission is set no matter which car I sell is where most of the lies dissapear.

Car salesman, lawyer, what's the difference, both are scum.

Naw, I don't agree. There are jerks in every profession, but there are plenty of good, honest car salesmen. If you are selling a line that you really believe in, you'll do a great job, and you'll be appreciated by your employer and your customers.

I'm always trying to sell Subarus (especially LGT's) to people I know, and I don't even get paid for it!

Hey guys, I'm just poking fun at myself. I don't consider these to be "scummy" positions/careers, I like both. Most people seem to distrust lawyers, car salesmen, and real estate agents. It's unfortunate that a the reputation is so bad; I can only do my best not to come off like the poor stereotype, that's not who I am.

I'd rather work as an attorney, but hey right now, this will be just fine. I think I am probably the most excited person in the dealership, but then I am also the only one there that actually owns the product being sold. Fact my friends is that (with little argument out of you all I am sure), you won't find a better product for the money.

Im in Suby sales myself, own the product wrx --> LGT love it and love what I do, but hate the bad rap of the industry.

I feel better when I laugh at allmy friends graduating and already hating their jobs/bosses/pay!

Do what you find fun! who cares about anyone else

Never worked in sales but I do have some tips for you working at that dealer in particular.

1. When your customer asks for a financing rate, don't make them wait for an hour and a half while you don't bother to give them a concrete number and just come back with, "Yeah, we can do better than that."

2. Don't keep asking why I'm not going to take the car home today. The reason is, "Because I said so."

3. Don't actually try to convince the person that their rare car being used for trade is worth less because of its rarity. It'll just make you look like a tool if the person knows anything.

4. When I say I'll call you to let you know what I'm going to do with the car I was interested in, don't call me at home and at work every day asking if I've made a decision. It's annoying.

Now, that being said, if you are genuinely nice, knowledgable and interested in me getting what I want then you're a cool guy and you'll be remembered by the customer and maybe, just maybe, they'll send other people your way. Ask a certain Mr. Douthitt across the street from you guys about that. I've referred 3 people to him in the past year because he did so good by me.

I think that's more than my 2 cents so you get an extra few pennies. :)

I have a few tips.....don't lean against or put your foot on a bumper of a car someone is taking delivery of. I can't stand it when salesmen do that. Yeah I just committed to five years of payments and I want you to use my bumper for a footrest. Best of luck.

Never worked in sales but I do have some tips for you working at that dealer in particular.

1. When your customer asks for a financing rate, don't make them wait for an hour and a half while you don't bother to give them a concrete number and just come back with, "Yeah, we can do better than that."

2. Don't keep asking why I'm not going to take the car home today. The reason is, "Because I said so."

3. Don't actually try to convince the person that their rare car being used for trade is worth less because of its rarity. It'll just make you look like a tool if the person knows anything.

4. When I say I'll call you to let you know what I'm going to do with the car I was interested in, don't call me at home and at work every day asking if I've made a decision. It's annoying.

Now, that being said, if you are genuinely nice, knowledgable and interested in me getting what I want then you're a cool guy and you'll be remembered by the customer and maybe, just maybe, they'll send other people your way. Ask a certain Mr. Douthitt across the street from you guys about that. I've referred 3 people to him in the past year because he did so good by me.

I think that's more than my 2 cents so you get an extra few pennies. :)

Nice to see another Hoosier on this site! (I shoot it straight and don't jerk people around, ever)

I have a few tips.....don't lean against or put your foot on a bumper of a car someone is taking delivery of. I can't stand it when salesmen do that. Yeah I just committed to five years of payments and I want you to use my bumper for a footrest. Best of luck

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then you'll work out great. If I need anything, I'll come see you. That place needs a fresh infusion of non-tools.

I'm not the only one with horror stories from that place. I don't know what it is but every sales person I've ever dealt with at that particular Subaru dealer is quite pompous.

But definately, treat them right, and the favor will be returned.

Congrats! and enjoy boostin all day long (and getting $$$ for it!!!). Is it hard to start in the car sales industry? And so you get a set amount for making a sale, sounds good! I've dealt with more sales that know a little as me :D about their cars, and they seem to do alright...do dealers hire part time sales too??:rolleyes:
In Taiwan now...:spin:

Congrats! and enjoy boostin all day long (and getting $$$ for it!!!). Is it hard to start in the car sales industry? And so you get a set amount for making a sale, sounds good! I've dealt with more sales that know a little as me :D about their cars, and they seem to do alright...do dealers hire part time sales too??:rolleyes:

Usually no part-timers, but it doesn't mean you can't try for a position like that. My experience has been that any sales position is a full time commitment.

Then you'll work out great. If I need anything, I'll come see you. That place needs a fresh infusion of non-tools.

I'm not the only one with horror stories from that place. I don't know what it is but every sales person I've ever dealt with at that particular Subaru dealer is quite pompous.

But definately, treat them right, and the favor will be returned.

Yeah, they just cleaned house 3 months ago, all new managers, and only 2 of the salesmen from before survived the firings.

On another note, we here in Indiana, should all try and get together sometime for lunch or drinks or something, kind of like a mini-meet. I had tried months ago, but no one seemed interested. PM me if you guys are up for it.

I have to say, in contrast to Rhiadon's comments (he's a friend of mine) about Tom Wood, I had a decent sales experience there (although apparently my salesman didn't survive the house cleaning). He was courteous and didn't try to "sell" me on the car. He could tell that I knew more about the car than he did. Of course, I didn't have a trade-in to deal with and was a VIP customer, so that helped I'm sure..

Of course service, on the other hand, leaves lots to be desired. My Legacy has developed the fan problem and the seat squeak that is documented widely here and took it in last Thurs to have a look. While they will be replacing the ECM and fan relays (duh), they are giving me a hard time about the seat, saying I'm hearing the leather rub the plastic and that I should see it from "Subaru's perspective" about replacing a $600 seat. When my parts come in and the car goes back down, we will be addressing the seat squeak (sounds like an old recliner when you get in and out). I cringe every time I get out of the car because it sounds so bad.

It sucks when you know more about the car (and cars in general) than the idiots working in the service department, yet they immediately go on the offensive and try to make you feel guilty for having them fix an annoying problem. And of course, it's a 30min drive for me every time I have to take it in, and of course they aren't open on Saturdays.

Wear a nice suit, be energetic and excited about selling, and sell yourself. That's the biggest thing, salesmen are hard to sell to. The person interviewing you will be a former salesman (most likely the sales manager), he is going to want to see that you can sell the only thing you have to offer, again, yourself.

It sounds like BS but, believe me, its a great way to go about it. Then again, any job interview is a sales pitch.

Archived