LegacyGT.com

Irregular starting issues 4 gen

This occurs irregularly and with no obvious reasons so far, Engine can be cold, warm and the weather whatever. Sometimes it happens several times a day and sometimes not for two-three weeks and now i have some energy to look into it and need some input

When turning the key to start the engine, It cranks and then when it usually ignites after some three cranks or so it stops like there have been a short circuit. It resets the watch in the onboard computer, The next time i turn the key it starts like it should. If i keep the key in starting position it also starts after some hesitation.

The car have 109k miles / 175k km on the meter. All service are done according to the manual. There are some issues with the onboardcomputer (fairly common it seems, Has to do with cold soldering and is fixable by resoldering). It goes black sometimes, Maybe 5-10 times / week. It also show error on some of these occasions. Other than that nothing to report.

No error codes a month ago. I will have access to the code reader in a couple of days again and check once more.

I have measured the grounding between battery and engine with the engine off and on and on different earth connections with good results, 14.34V while running between + and - and battery-engine.

Here are vids of the happening.

In these vids gf holds the key in starter position the whole episode. It cranks, gets the hickup and then starts. Usually i take the key back to off pos. and then start again without issues.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux1znV5m2Vk]Subaru legacy 4 gen starter issues - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_dN03eqlXY]Subaru legacy 4 gen starting issue - YouTube[/ame]

That's really quite strange, it almost sounds like it doesn't start until the car builds up enough compression (it's kind of starting like a diesel engine). Diagnostic trouble codes will be the biggest thing that will aid us in helping you get to the bottom of this. The car isn't running hot is it? Any coolant shooting out (or bubbling) if you start up the car with the radiator cap with the vehicle running? If you can I would run a compression check. Has the timing belt been changed yet?

That's really quite strange, it almost sounds like it doesn't start until the car builds up enough compression (it's kind of starting like a diesel engine). Diagnostic trouble codes will be the biggest thing that will aid us in helping you get to the bottom of this. The car isn't running hot is it? Any coolant shooting out (or bubbling) if you start up the car with the radiator cap with the vehicle running? If you can I would run a compression check. Has the timing belt been changed yet?

I will check for codes again in a few days. Timing belt replaced. No other strange happenings i can recall now exept from a idle issue the car had a year ago. While going from idle at red lights for example it typically died and would start again as if nothing happend. The starter issue was already there at this time.

After cleaning the trottlebody and all related tubing and also replacing all cheap leds this never occured again. I removed the leds just to be sure they didnt cause any weird things. (i have experienced this in other cars)

The starter issue remained.

Archived