LegacyGT.com

Hard Morning Start After tightning Altenator Belt

Hoping I can get some advice from the experts on this one. 1998 Subaru Legacy GT, 2.5L., -(dash)20 oil.

Went to start my car this morning, and got a solid turn of the engine and then the battery kinda went south. Cranking got real weak. A little gas pedal and the car started. But, when it did start, I got some loud piston slap for the warmup period (And I've never had Piston Slap. Ever...)

I replaced the power steering pump about 3 weeks ago, and just tightened the belt last night. Started fine after replacing the belt last night.

I'll give it a go after work today, maybe its just my battery giving up the ghost. But would that explain the sudden onset of the knocking??:confused:

If the battery is good, check your cables and make sure the terminals are clean and tight. As far as the knocking, try removing the power steering/alternator belt and starting it and see if the knock is still there.

I recently had an intermittent knocking, turned out to be a bad alternator, swapped out the alternator and no more knocking. If your having battery issues, you're likely having alternator problems also.

Just a thought since it just happened to me, good luck.

Archived