LegacyGT.com

Track Night 9/6 - 13.3 @ 102mph

j.reed

Yea, I'd like to get 13.2 but I don't think its going to happen.

My next really hard launches will be with stage 2 (or some other significant proformance mod)

As for the tires, the reason the RE92s are so good for this is that they break loose easy, they seem to keep anything from breaking. I wouldn't trust my launches with tires that are rated better than the 92s.

Putting the uppie on got me 6 tenths, does anyone doubt that a Stage 2 w/ Cobb HF Cat downpipe won't do the same and bring me down to MID 12s? (maybe some pulleys too)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One more quick point here. I know when I am running the SS on slicks I have four letter words for guys who drag water up the the gate by driving through the water box. I know at Atco they have radial tired cars go in the left lane but I am sure they would share the same feelings.

At Atco they spray water right at the gates no way around it. I have had them spray the front of my car when they were not looking. So here is your 4 letter works!

Putting the uppie on got me 6 tenths,

I believe there are other factors beyond the up pipe that got you 6 tenths. If it were true then that pretty much says the cat in our up pipe is the difference between the STI's 300hp and our 250hp.

^^ I agree.

No uppipe is giving you 6 tenths.

You just happened to run better that day you had your uppipe on.

And as KTM said, 6 tenths is about the difference between a stock LGT and

a stock STI.

It's the downpipe that'll make the biggest difference.

I drove the car with just the AP stage one. I pulled a 13.9 out of hit and that was all it had trust me I was driving it like I stole it.

We installed the uppipe and I ported the exhaust manifold.

He ran a 13.3.

Yes his driving got better but I don't think he is shifting anywere near as fast as I did. So if you compair my run with his best run you can see the diff. with the uppipe. Oh and I blew into the stock uppipe until my face was red and felt very little if any air coming out of the other end. the stock cat is very dense. I can see removing it would give me an ass load of power. not to mention the power would come on sooner so he has more time in the powerband.

here is a photo of him launching at Atco on tuesday

struts and springs are needed look at that thing almost pick up the front tires.

http://rfoy.jreednet.com/9-6-R1-120.jpg

and here is one of my RS (STi V5 struts and STi tarmac springs it's very stiff)

http://rfoy.jreednet.com/9-6-R1-121.jpg

I drove the car with just the AP stage one. I pulled a 13.9 out of hit and that was all it had trust me I was driving it like I stole it.

We installed the uppipe and I ported the exhaust manifold.

He ran a 13.3.

Yes his driving got better but I don't think he is shifting anywere near as fast as I did. So if you compair my run with his best run you can see the diff. with the uppipe. Oh and I blew into the stock uppipe until my face was red and felt very little if any air coming out of the other end. the stock cat is very dense. I can see removing it would give me an ass load of power. not to mention the power would come on sooner so he has more time in the powerband.

here is a photo of him launching at Atco on tuesday

struts and springs are needed look at that thing almost pick up the front tires.

http://rfoy.jreednet.com/9-6-R1-120.jpg

and here is one of my RS (STi V5 struts and STi tarmac springs it's very stiff)

http://rfoy.jreednet.com/9-6-R1-121.jpg

Well, rest assured, it wasn't the uppipe that gave him the 6 tenths.

It was probably a combination of the catless uppipe, porting the exhaust

manifold, along with better driving that night, and probably better track

and weather conditions.

The uppipe alone wouldn't even give 3 tenths.

Think of it this way, that would mean a catless uppipe would

be good for 25-30 hp alone, and we all know that just ain't the case.

And also, if it was, the 2006 LGT should be noticeably faster than the

2005, because it now has a catless uppipe.

We'll have to see numbers come out from people who run a stock

2006 LGT to compare (preferably on the same track on the same

night as someone with a 2005 LGT) as well as magazine test times.

But since the LGT is such a low volume car, it's doubtful many magazines

will test the 2006 LGT.

In ANY case, with some better tires, lighter wheels, and stiffer springs, he'd

knock off another couple tenths. With Stage 2 he'd be in the high 12's

at that track if the conditions are as good as they were when he

ran the 13.3

But by then, his clutch would be fried driving it (launching it at/near redline) like that.

I'm not going to fry the clutch! The tires break loose before the clutch even has a chance to do anything crazy.

And its impossible to get around the water, even if you were riding a bicycle.

http://www.montemadness.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/mm04atco6.jpg.w300h161.jpg

As you see in that picture the cement wall in the back only has 2 large garage door openings. They spray the water just before/into the archway there.

Launching AT red line will spin all 4 tires free. I launch below 6000 to get those 1.860 60'

I'd be surprised if some more porting, a $600 full length down pipe and a re-flash to stage two during same or better conditions doesn't net me at least 5 tenths. I know I can shift better too, I can do it on the street when I have time to think about it.

Nearly Red Line, didn't hit the limiter but close.

I forgot to mention that I iced my intercooler. I loaded it up on ice while in the lanes. The first run I left a bunch on and the guy behind me get yelled at for it. The second run I let it melt before my run and the 3rd run I removed nearly all of it before my run.

The K&N is a drop in.

I also had a full tank of gas, spare, and 14lbs of ice in a cooler in the trunk.

The heat wrapped uppipe really lowered underhood temps (second pic).

Try MaxCool instead of ice.

http://www.maxcool.com/

That is so easy to make one of those for like $5. Problem is that it is one time use and after that it is done. It will be melted and need to be frozen again. You can get another bag of ice and put it in a garbage bag (no dripping) for $2 and save a ton of $ in the long run

That is so easy to make one of those for like $5. Problem is that it is one time use and after that it is done. It will be melted and need to be frozen again. You can get another bag of ice and put it in a garbage bag (no dripping) for $2 and save a ton of $ in the long run

I just use a cooler with two bags of ice. I also like to have a good 45 minutes to an hour between runs. Thats usually possible because some DSM or as my politically incorrect friends call them "Mexican" car. (The small ones that break before they make it down the track)

How does a CDV work?

I just use a cooler with two bags of ice. I also like to have a good 45 minutes to an hour between runs. Thats usually possible because some DSM or as my politically incorrect friends call them "Mexican" car. (The small ones that break before they make it down the track)

How does a CDV work?

It senses very fast clutch release at high rpm's and is supposed to cause the clutch to not engage fully to keep the trans and drivetrain from getting abused. I'm surprised it hasn't engaged yet on your car.

wow! that's awesome! i went to the track for the first time ever yesterday. i'm completely stock w/ the exception of a gutted uppipe. 5EAT and i couldn't get the whole torque braking thing down, so my launches SUCKED! best run was 15.037 @ 92 mph. if i could actually get the boost up a little i could atleast break into the 14's. can't wait til i go stage 1 with a few extra mods next spring. i'd like to see the difference b/w stock and stage 1.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

You will do a lot better once you can get into boost. I am going to be heading back to the track for my second time with my new 5EAT and I know I am going to smoke it this time.

I was learning the first time and only got 3 runs and it was HOT. I know when I can take my time I can break tq into the 3500-3700 range and squeal the tires. But that damn staging tree is too fast haha.

i went for the first time last friday. did 9 runs, with a best time 14.463 (Stage 1 93, only mod). was brake torqueing to 3500. when i was running heads up i would try and stage up asap, since i knew it would take a bit to build torque. those few xtra secs make a big difference.

if you do single runs stage up and just brake HARD with your left foot. and mash the Go pedel with your right foot, did this a few times and was able to get to the right torque in time.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

That is a really nice run! I think a stage 1 5EAT is capable of low 14's on a cold night still. If not even 13.9. A nice 50 degree night and I believe it could happen with a great tq break.

I will be testing out the stage II 5eat in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned!!!

ya. it was my first time and i was running with almost a full tank of gas + spare tire. it was hot and humid as well. hopefully ill get to the track next month when its a little bit cooler and less humid.

i wont be happy till i break 12 secs. untill then its mod, mod, and mod some more.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

ya. it was my first time and i was running with almost a full tank of gas + spare tire. it was hot and humid as well. hopefully ill get to the track next month when its a little bit cooler and less humid.

i wont be happy till i break 12 secs. untill then its mod, mod, and mod some more.

did you run at trails?

Archived