LegacyGT.com

Upgrading sway bars for GT wagon...?

Whirling Dervish

So I'v learned from previous threads that not everyone is too fond of the Perrin bars to say the least, and the Whitelines seem to be hit or miss.

It also seems like Cusco is the only one that everyone seems to be 100% on, so I figure I'll go with them. Just two questions. One, is there anything that I should definitely do before the sway bars? Perhaps end links? I don't plan on replacing the coilovers anytime soon.

Second, will I be okay if I just do the rear for now?

Tires first and foremost if you track or autocross the car. The RE92a's will not do you any favors in this area. If you're just daily driving "enthusiastically" then the RE92a's will be good until they wear out. Just make sure to keep the pressures up in to at least 35F/33R and then add 1-2psi to both F/R.

If you're doing the rear swaybar for now, is there any reason you're not looking at the Subaru JDM 20mm OEM bar, or possibly the Swift bar(s)?

Both are superb replacements for the wimpy 16mm USDM stock rear sway bar.

I enthusiastically endorse the JDM rear 20mm ASB and it's the only suspension mod that I've made to the car to date. It has made a huge difference in the way the car handles, tracks and turns.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding your first question, I won't be tracking or autocrossing the car. Maybe someday. :) At this point I'm just looking to get the torsional stiffness closer to the car I'm upgrading from ('98 OBS w/SPT front coils and Whiteline rear swaybar) without losing any versatility. And thanks for the advise on the tires; I'll run these until they wear out and will then upgrade.

Regarding the bars, did Swift ever sufficiently answer your question regarding this? I'd agree that the wagon should get a stiffer bar due to the weight...

The wagon and the sedan are identical front to rear with the exception of the stiffer springs in the rear to compensate for the additional weight and weight carrying capacity. That said, I would think that the LGT Wagon with it's higher rear and heavier weight overall, would require the stiffer sway bar. That the SWIFT LGT sedan sway bar is stiffer doesn't make sense.

And I hadn't really given the JDM much thought. I'll definitely look into it vs. the Cusco. Thanks again!:D

Hey WD...while I agree with SubieTonic, with regard to the JDM rear 20mm bar, I think the cost of two bars (cusco) vs 1 (jdm 20mm) allowed me to make my decision. I just posted a slight review, and although not a wagon, I installed the Cusco F/R swaybars on the car, (between yesterday, and today).

Here's the link, should you care to read the preliminary review. I have not had much seat time, with the new bars, as I just finished them today, but you can kinda get an idea. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18413

Good luck with your decision!

i.

I'll put my two cents on the Whitelines, since I have both front and rear adjustables. The only problem I see is that the adjustables only have two settings not three like whiteline states. In the STi there is 3 holes and 3 settings. The LGT bars are 2 holes and 3 setting (whitleline says). But, the problem is when you try to use the middle setting (1 hole on one side and 1 hoel on the other side) it twist/torques the endlinks to much. My solution to this was not to use the middles setting and get some stronger endlinks, which I have done and I am happy.

Thanks ITD...I was just reading it. I'm a bit surprised that you're feeling so much more of a response/change from the front bar vs. the rear - I always thought it would be the other way around. Definitely keep us posted as to the long-term review!

The steering 'feel' is much better now, with the front bar. As for the technicals, once I have a little more time to drive, (i.e. later tonight when there's no one out on the roads!!) I will let you know how I like it...or what differences I notice. I did notice a much better response on the same roads that I drive, which are fairly curvy/hilly, and are followed by two rotaries. Noticeable difference, to say the least.

See ya.

Archived