LegacyGT.com

Radio and HVAC Controls Flicker - Illumination Control Switch?

08qsm

Just bought an 08 Legacy GT the other day and noticed the radio display was flickering...I did some searching on the forums and found that this is supposedly a common issue. The cause of which is said to be the Illumination Control "roller" switch to the left of the steering wheel.

I could not find any more information about why this happens or if simply buying a new illumination control switch (part number 83023C) will fix the issue.

However I'm still not 100% convinced that the illumination control switch is the cause of the issue, if I tap on the radio screen or flick it with my finger I can cause the display to flicker, sometimes I can't see anything until I tap it a few times again and it comes on. I guess it happens when I'm driving on bumpy roads which seems to me like a loose connection?

I tested the illumination control switch by changing its position, rolled it all the way up and then back down but still flickers regardless. Hopefully it's nothing too difficult to fix! Thanks for reading

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived