LegacyGT.com

Intake Silencer Removal Fixed My 5EAT Issue. Huh?

LightFantastic

I've been having a problem with my 5EAT for a while now. Whenever I used "manual mode," my transmission would shift hard into 3rd gear. Let me rephrase that, whenever I used "manual mode," my transmission would shift hard into 3rd gear IF I was giving it gas into my shift. It was really bad if you had your foot all the way to the floor and try and shift into 3rd. Sometimes the dash even shook from the shock of the shift. I figured my clutch packs were worn (150k). Anyways, so at work today we were talking about intakes. Then I remember there was a thread on here showing you how to remove your silencer. So I took mine off tonight, and what do I do right away? Drive it! I just wanted to see how it would sound, that's all. First stop light, I drop the chick stick thingy so I was in 1st. I kept my foot to the floor through 2nd, then into 3rd. WHAT THE HELL! It shifted like butter. I look back at my dash thinking it somehow went back into "auto" mode. I expected a hard shift (as usual). Next stop light, I did it again. Same thing! Shifted wonderful. No clunking, no shock, no nothing. Just a clean shift. See before, when I had my issue, my RPM's would drop WAY down. I would gas it, shift, and CLUNK a hard shift into 3rd. Now my RPM's are staying WAYYYY up from 2nd into 3rd. I'm ecstatic my 5EAT is shifting like it's supposed to again, but I'm confused as hell and afraid to put my silencer back in. I know some people have had trouble with the MAF sensor getting clogged with debris and I had mine off tonight. I don't think that's the issue though. I've had that off and on too many times within the past year. I guess unless the debris just loosened up tonight? There's a little hole on the bottom of the intake silencer. Could that have been clogged? It's really late, but tomorrow night I'm going to put that silencer back in and see if my transmission goes back into "limp mode" again. I'll post up tomorrow night! **I know this sounds goofy, but I've had this issue well over a year now and I've driven it every day since. I was in my vehicle for two hours tonight "trying" to get my 5EAT to bang into 3rd again, but I couldn't get it to regardless of what I did. Something happened.

Okay I did some searching and it looks like this is a common problem. I guess wiggling around that MAF sensor tonight fixed my issue. Can I just buy a new one? Interesting too -some people were complaining about too much line pressure cuz their MAF was bad. That's exactly what I experience the first winter I owned my legacy. It would go WANG WANG WANG and then a shift and a HUGE bang into gear. It was fvcking scary lol. I dont mind soldering. Can I do this or will i need to take it to a dealer?

Archived