LegacyGT.com

97 subaru motor rock

I don't think they would be hard. there are just 2 on the bottom. I would remove the 2 bottom bolts holding them to the crossmember, jack the car up and see if I could then remove the 4 bolts (2 on each) attaching them to the engine. That is where I would start anyhow. I have never had one go bad. There is also a top mount which would be really easy to change. Under the airbox. It is called something else i think. There is also a transmission mount. You can get a performance kit that replaces them all.

I've put motor mounts on the engine while it is still in the bay and it is a pain in the ass. I rebuilt the engine for my SS and dropped it in and connected everything and realized I forgot to install the motor mounts, lol.

You have to jack up the engine as has already been mentioned. You need to disconnect the dogbone transmission mount. My jack wasn't tall enough to jack the engine up enough so I used my cherry picker to pull it up the rest of the way.

It's a tight fit and the rear bolts are hard to get at so if they are stuck you are going to have a hard time getting them off so spray them with PB blaster ahead of time. It was also hard to torque them to spec since it was impossible for me to get the torque wrench in the available space so I just cranked them on as hard as I could with a wrench.

I replaced the motor mounts on my 97 legacy not too long ago and it wasnt bad at all. I took of the nuts holding the mounts in the crossmember, unbolted the headers, and just unhooked the air filter box and slowly jacked up the motor until the studs came free from the crossmember. Unbolted the motor mount bolts with a ratcheting 14mm which made it easy to get in tight spaces and bolted the new ones up and dropped it down. Only two problems i had were that i dropped a bolt in the headers so i suggest covering them first and loosen the pitchstop mount before you try and pry the motor back into the crossmember if it is giving you trouble. Otherwise it was pretty simple.

rear trans mount,

drive shaft u-joints,

rear diff bushings,

are all much more common failures.

and how do you know you have engine rocking at deceleration,

are you driving with the hood off of the car?

as for replacing the motor mounts,

undo the 2 nuts in the cross member underneath,

and remove the dog bone up top at the fire wall.

that is the only way you are going to get it high enough to get your hand in there.

Archived