LegacyGT.com

Deleting abs system?

Is it possible to delete the abs system in a 98 Legacy Outback? Been dealing with a messed up abs ring for a while and im not about to pay $100 for one online, plus getting a new wheel bearing pressed in. Ive looked into getting a new spindle from a scrap yard and all of them are rusted to pieces. It seems much easier just to delete the whole abs system and have a couple adapters made to put in place of the abs unit under the hood. Thoughts?

Why not just pull the fuse? Sure, the light comes on, but... better than your complicated alternative.

I didnt know it was that simple... I was under the impression that if you disabled abs without replacing the abs unit with hard lines, that the abs unit would still alter the pressure applied to the brake lines and cause warping. Anyway, thats what ive experienced. Ill try pulling the fuse.

are you sure it is the tone ring that is busted?

it the tone ring looks ok,

maybe there are metal filings, and rust on the sensor tip,

they are magnetic.

cleaning may help.

Yeah i busted the abs ring trying to tap a lug stud into place.

I didnt know it was that simple... I was under the impression that if you disabled abs without replacing the abs unit with hard lines, that the abs unit would still alter the pressure applied to the brake lines and cause warping. Anyway, thats what ive experienced. Ill try pulling the fuse.

Nah. Just makes you more likely to rear-end someone / spin out in the rain. Drive safely and probably eventually get that tone ring replaced.

Nah. Just makes you more likely to rear-end someone / spin out in the rain. Drive safely and probably eventually get that tone ring replaced.

That tone ring is gonna cost me a damn fortune though. Do you know if any retailers or aftermarket brands that make them for our cars? I dont wanna have to get it at a dealership... But just in case, do you happen to have a part number too? Haha

Thanks guys

That tone ring is gonna cost me a damn fortune though. Do you know if any retailers or aftermarket brands that make them for our cars? I dont wanna have to get it at a dealership... But just in case, do you happen to have a part number too? Haha

Thanks guys

I think it's item #11 on this link:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_47/suspension_and_axle/front_axle/illustration_1/

Quick google searches show around $100, +/- some for OE, depending on where you look. Here's one for just under $100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-OEM-90-99-Legacy-Brake-Front-ABS-Rotor-Right-26750AA003-/360986765970?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540c7cea92&vxp=mtr

Its the front driver. Thanks ill take another look there
sort your search by price and look to the bottom for the cheap ones.

then pick a state where there is little to no rust,

like arizona.

you may have to call once you pick your source, to get exactly what you want.

you can also sort by zip code to see what is close.

sort your search by price and look to the bottom for the cheap ones.

then pick a state where there is little to no rust,

like arizona.

you may have to call once you pick your source, to get exactly what you want.

you can also sort by zip code to see what is close.

Yeah the dealer wants a little under $140 for just the ring. Ill be looking all over that site for one. Thanks man.

• 5 months later...

UPDATE:

I replaced the tone ring. Twice. First I bought the wrong part from Advance Auto Parts (WorldPac) and had to return it and get one from Subaru. Several hundred dollars and two new wheel bearings later, I got it all put together the right way. Problem is my ABS light is still on and I can't figure out how (or I'm too lazy to actually try) to read the ABS codes. I haven't tried pulling the fuse yet which I'm about to go do.

PROBLEM:

The ABS light is on, the car functions quite normally. The brakes are a little spongy (bleeding them again here soon) and they have minimal power, but I can drive the car in a normal and safe manner with the ABS malfunctioning.

When the ABS light is OFF however, I have almost no brakes whatsoever. I depress the pedal (which is much more responsive than with the light off) and I hear the pump start groaning and pinging but nothing happens. When I'm down to about 10 or 5 mph the brake pedal will then suddenly function normally, causing me to brake check whoever is behind me.

I have no clue what could be going on. I'm terrible with ABS systems, which is why I wanted to delete it in the first place. However it seems like it would be cheaper and easier to just fix the damn thing and live with my Anti-Brake System. :lol: Thoughts anyone?

Pull the fuse and you lose the cruise control, which was a huge killer for me. I'm in the same boat, but only because every time I have to pull a knuckle the damn ABS sensor breaks off. It was awfully cold, so I wasn't up for the helicoil route. Maybe some other day.

Archived