LegacyGT.com

ac compressor swap

I have a 93 legacy with a one wire compressor thats bad. I have a 92 three wire plug compressor thats still good. The hose connections are different. So I was wondering if I were to switch compressors and hoses if the rest of the system would be compatible?

I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you swap the lines that connect to the compressor as well but you can also ask/search over on bbslegacycentral to make sure.

The wiring shouldn't be an issue since only the Yellow wire with the green stripe is used on either connector from what I have gathered. The brown/ red is not used and the red/ yellow is not used.

There were two types of AC systems on 1st gen Legacies. Calsonic & Diesel Kiki. Which do you have? Compressors from the same manufacturer should be interchangeable, which is why I provided the list of the Calsonic compressors in my above post. But A Calsonic and a Diesel Kiki will not be interchangeable. The older Calsonic compressors are no longer available new so if you ordered one from Subaru they would provide new lines with the compressor since the fittings are not the same which also leads me to believe that as long as you swap lines with compressors you shouldn't have an issue.

Make sure you replace the drier receiver as well or you can ruin your next compressor.

Helpful thread:

Converting r12 to r134a - http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1083

Archived