LegacyGT.com

Possible fifth gen engine swaps

i've had such terrible luck with my 5th gen, i'm looking at swapping in my trusty supercharged 3800 from my monte carlo and a cts-v t56 (for cable shift) and eliminating the awd :(

i really dont want to lose the awd for winter but the trans is just as shitty as the engine imo its a joke of a drivetrain in every way so i figure f*ck it i'll have an expensive paperweight (to which this drivetrain is best suited) and swap in a bulletproof combo and see if the chassis is as big of joke as the rest of it :mad::spin::mad: i sincerely hope i dont pretzel this car from having some real torque that isn't just a whoosh from pooch to dog.... and spending 10k building a damn boxer engine suitable for dailying is a ******* joke, then the trans... NOTHING will help it, the design is a HUGE FAIL and an sti trans costs more than a (uber capable) t56 and likely would require the same amount of work..... i would get away from the legacy if i could, but it would seem a swap will cost me much much less in the long run the 3800 is way way way way way way way way way better in every way other than center of gravity.... y'all have fun with the boxer, i gave it a shot, babied it, used it as just a daily, fed it amsoil, changed timing belt water pump and cam seals at 60k, changed oil every 2500, still had 3 turbos fail in 70k.... needless to say i no longer am changing the oil, just topping it off until it dies, its down to 2 or 3 working cylinders now, 4k miles on this oil change but it uses a quart every 40 miles, burn bitch burn.

Send me some pics. I think I may be willing to give you $4k for it if its in good shape cosmetically. Save you the work of the swap.

not for sale, i'm guessing the previous owner beat the all living shit out of it, i got it at 45k miles from a ford dealer, reverse was gone and so was the clutch and at some point there was broken glass in the car... and the front bumper never stays fully clipped, ... and the sunroof is stupid, it's always burned oil and ran really weak, i've tried to treat it right but its past its caring point, i'm not spending the $$ to put a boxer back in there when i know how to do something better for less and have something unique, plus this car sort of resembles a g8 in some ways and the insurance is way cheaper, and then there's the fact that the mileage will be better... gotta love not having inspections or i'd be screwed on both cars

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
The 5th gen legacy uses a different way to mount the engine than any other Subaru as far as I know. The 10-12 5th gen has the ej25 engine in it. Though the block is different to accommodate the engine mounting from other ej25 engines.

Swaps are gonna be the 5th gen GT motor, or 5th gen 3.6r motor. Youd need to swap trannys too cuz Im pretty sure those motors would eat up your CVT. Those would be the 6 speed 5th gen GT/2.5i tranny or the 5eat in the 3.6r. Somebody had looked into the 6 speed STi swap on the 5th gen GT and I guess it wouldn't work.

You could contact The Subaru Shop in Tiverton, RI about the swap. Good guys, lots of fast cars. Definite experience swapping subarus.

this answers my question if it would be possible to put a drivetrain from a wrecked forester xt. thank you.

this answers my question if it would be possible to put a drivetrain from a wrecked forester xt. thank you.

Anything is possible with the right amount of money! But no, it won't bolt in. The mounts for the powertrain on the 5th gen are on the transmission not the engine, so that little design is a huge hurdle to overcome in a swap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Archived