LegacyGT.com

Fuel problem/smell while driving

Hopefully someone can help me here, I'm kinda lost on this one. :D my car gets this strong smell like raw fuel in the exhaust whenever you driving hard, especially if you drive around nicely for a bit, then really get on it. Perfect scenario, cruising 35 up to a traffic light that turns orange and do a hard 3rd gear pull to get through before red. If the windows are down you smell it almost immediately. so far I've not seen any smoke from the exhaust or anything.

I should say that I have an 05 legacy 2.5i with a slightly modified intake, custom 2.5 inch exhaust, and stock tuning. I've heard the oem fuel map is crap, possibly with that and the mods i'm running rich? I'm assuming in that case I just need a tune, but I dont knowbecause I've not done much with subbies other than bolt ons

I should say that I have an 05 legacy 2.5i with a slightly modified intake, custom 2.5 inch exhaust, and stock tuning. I've heard the oem fuel map is crap, possibly with that and the mods i'm running rich? I'm assuming in that case I just need a tune, but I dont knowbecause I've not done much with subbies other than bolt ons

If you've done an intake and the runners aren't the same diameter as your stocker, then yes, you can run rich. Your maps depend on the MAF readings, which are dependent upon the diameter of the intake tubes staying stock, in order to supply the right air:fuel ratio. The only way you'd run rich is if your aftermarket intake is of a smaller diameter than stock. It's likely larger, which will cause you to run lean, not rich.

You OEM NA fuel map isn't shitty, per se. It's the turbos that have the problems, for the most part. You really shouldn't need a tune for your bolt-ons; it'd be a further waste of money.

My guess is that one (or both) of your O2 sensors are on their way out.

I simple tune-up helps too. You could have a faulty plug and not burning all the fuel completely. Try new plugs, filters and clean the MAF.

Do you still have the OEM cats on? If the tune up doesn't help and you still have the OEM cats on, then look at replacing the Front A/F ratio O2 sensor.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 4 months later...
For anyone who wonders, o figured this out. First off, it's more accurately a sulfur smell. Second, it's normal. You can read about it in the manual. Subbies meant to run low sulfur fuel, which is very hard to find outside CA. So instead you get a smell. Some brands of fuel are worse depending on sulphur levels. The manual even claims the sulfur can cause problems not covered by warranty like cats. Anyway, so much for all that... :-)

For anyone who wonders, o figured this out. First off, it's more accurately a sulfur smell. Second, it's normal. You can read about it in the manual. Subbies meant to run low sulfur fuel, which is very hard to find outside CA. So instead you get a smell. Some brands of fuel are worse depending on sulphur levels. The manual even claims the sulfur can cause problems not covered by warranty like cats. Anyway, so much for all that... :-)

Interesting, I've owned 3 Suabaru's now, 2 with 2.5 engines (Impreza and LGT), and never had this.

Also, hard 3rd pull from 35 MPH?! 4EAT? I'd be in 2nd on my 5EAT.

Archived