LegacyGT.com

Transmission compatibility question

1994 Subaru Legacy FWD AT 4dr.

The speedo adapter in the transmission broke and I cannot find a replacement. The dealer discontinued it, and junkyards that have it won't take it out of the transmission and sell it separately.

The car has 180,000 on it and my next option is to just replace the transmission. So my question: Will any automatic transmission from a similar model from 1990- 1994 or so work, or is there a range of years that used the same transmission? Or do I have to get one from another 1994 model? And are they even different within the same year?

ANY legacy or impreza FWD trans will work.

but before you do that,

search http://www.car-part.com for a ''core'' trans, a bad trans for parts only.

FWD or AWD, 90 - 94, legacy or impreza.

call and ask if they will sell you the part.

tell then you need the adapter and the cable.

that will make the sale worth while to them.

sort your search by zip to see if any are close,

and then by price to see what is cheap.

Got a cool story related to this. My buddy had a Daewoo Leganza and the same part broke. He had to drop the tranny and pull EVERYTHING out of it to get to the speedo sensor so he did. He broke the pump three times before he ran out of scrap yards with daewoo transmissions in them. He ended up just giving the car to a tranny shop where it sat for 5 months and was hauled away to a scrap yard.

Moral of the story; Get a manual tranny. And don't ever buy a discontinued car. lol

Fortunately this one is right there at the top and takes all of five minutes to R&R It's not a sensor, it's just a mechanical adapter that the speedo cable clips into. But yeah, discontinued cars - Subaru seems to be doing their best to discontinue this thing. It runs like a top, nothing wrong with it, and should last another ten years easily...if I can just find obscure parts like this....

I wonder what it would take to convert this to a manual?

Archived