LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan question 97 legacy gt

So the otherday I was headed over to a friends house to help him put the motor back in his outback and as I was driving up his driveway(he lives on the top of a mountain) in the heat i noticed my scan gauge was reading the coolant temp at 200. My car likes to stay around 184 on average driving. So When i got to the top of the driveway i noticed the temp was around 204 so i popped the hood and let it idle while i checked for bubbling in the coolant(not that i think i have headgasket issues just checking) and no bubbles but i noticed when the coolant fan turns on(around 206 degrees) only the rightside fan turns on. The left fan stayed off. Is the left fan only for ac(compressor in this car was removed) or did this fan just die. I have no check engine light. And i do remember that my 99 outback would turn both fans on when the engine got hot. Just wondering if this is something i should look into, i have no overheating issues so its not an urgent fix right now. And btw i am not concerned that my coolant got hot because every car that climbs this driveway in the summer gets hot.

• 1 month later...
I have the same issue, the left( Passenger side) Main fan quit coming on. I applied power to both fans using a pigtail and surprise both fans operate just fine. So, I checked all fuses and they are all fine( under dash left side and under hood left side(driver side)) i was thinking it might not be working because of the temp switch on the coolant pipe under the intake, but im not sure. Any other ideas as to what might be causing this problem? Last time this happened the shop said it was just a fuse, but I took it to them yesterday and they checked all fuses and said they were all good.

mebbe check the coolant temp switch for operation, that should be what turns the main fan on. did you turn the ac switch on to see if the other fan starts like normal, just to verify?

if there were an override for the ac fan, there would have to be a second temp switch controlling it i would think. unless the ecu is monitoring the analog temp and overriding it. but that wouldnt make sense, if the ecu could do that you wouldnt need the coolant temp switch to turn on the main fan

I have not yet checked the temp switch yet, even thought I think that is the problem. The other day when it got hot here(96) in Colorado, the fan quit working. Then after wiggling the wiring harnesses it began to work but only when a/c is on or defrost. So I think for normal operation the temp switch is still at fault, but I also might have a bad connection somewhere too. I disconnected the grounding wire to clean it and reconnected, not sure if that's what made the fan work again or a lose wire. I was told that if I disconnect the temp switch and use a jumper wire to test, that it will fry my harness or ecu, is this true or false info? I also need to look up the ohm value for that switch in order to check it. Thanks for chiming in....:)

I figured out what the problem to the cooling fan(s) issue was on my car. The wiring harness below the fans (where they connect to the harness) has a bad wire or bad connector. Temp sensor works just fine. 250,000 miles strong, go Suby!

Archived