LegacyGT.com

1994 Legacy Speedometer and cable r&r?

1994 Subaru Legacy. FWD, non-Turbl, four door sedan.

The Speedometer has been sticking for a while now - you increase speed and it sticks at about 50 and slowly moves up.

Today the Speedometer stopped working and the check engine light came on.

In the good old days, I'd just go to the local auto part store and get another cable. But I'm thinking of replacing the speedometer also since it is sticking. What am i getting myself into? Any voices of experience here like to offer some advice before I start taking things apart?

Hello;

Just went through the same scenario a few days ago on a clients subie. Went to the local pull and pay and bought the whole speedometer cable. The assembly is in two pieces. I use petroleum jelly to lubricate the cable. Nothing too complicated here, Steven.

This model has a single piece cable. Unfortunately, it was the adapter that screws into the transmission that broke - and I can't find one. Subaru discontinued them, not available. Junkyards don't have them, or do but won't remove them from the transmission......I'm kinda feeling screwed here....I'm wondering if I have to buy an entire transmission because of this stupid broken part....

Archived