LegacyGT.com

Subie tire tread depth...Does it really matter?

I recently bought some tires at a great price, only "500" miles on them, the problem that I didn't realize until after I brought them home is that they must have been mounted on a front or rear wheel drive car previously. so the tread depth is slightly different on 2 of the tires. Do I really need to get them shaved down? If not, is there any particular pattern I should mount the tires in (aka criss cross, or less worn on the front)? I feel like the thickness of a penny or 2 won't make an impact on my diff. But if you disagree, please, let me know.

It's super easy to measure tire tread depth and tire diameter. There are a couple good topics posted over the years here that will give you every bit of info you need to determine how safe you are.

Measuring the outer tire diameter is the safest bet, so take a string or thin measuring tape and wrap it around the outside of the tire. Compare the diameter measure/length on all 4 tires. Are they within 1/4" of an inch (Subaru spec)? If so, you are fine. Alternatively, if your tread depth is within 1/32" or 2/32" of an inch, you are probably fine.

Archived