LegacyGT.com

Spt intake vs cobb

05subileggygt

I just got a spt intake for my 05 legacy gt. It's all Bone stock. Would it be ok just to put on? But from what I'm reading people don't like them. So I don't know if I should keep it or sell it and get a cobb. I want it more for sound. And I've heard they get real hot. But I wouldn't mind getting I ceramic coated or something.

Don't use the SPT. Intakes don't really do anything power wise until your up in the stage 3+ area. If you really want one for sound, the Cobb is a great choice. You can not just install it though, you need a tune to correct your MAF scalling. There is lots if good e tuners on this forum that do basic tunes like that for $150. You will need a tatrix cable, or access port though.

I agree don't use the SPT because the location of the sensor has reportedly given people fits with getting clear consistent readings. There is some horsepower to be had from an Intake even at stage 1-2 power levels, however you are better off spending the $300 dollars for a complete Cobb SF intake/airbox on other things first like a downpipe or even a Stage 1 Pro-Tune and Tactrix Cable.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I personally would not run any intake with an OTS map, even Cobb's own. The actual install of the intake can effect the MAF readings and scaling, things like the angle the hosing is attached, etc., not every car is identical. An intake is utterly useless on a stage 1 car, and marginal at best on a stage 2 car. The stock setup flows plenty for the vf40/46, with the stock turbo an intake is just a noisemaker, if you're into that sort of thing.

Well, with it being a 05 and your bone stock the first thing I would do is get a catless up pipe. You can either get a Accessport or do a open source tune. If you really want the intake you can add that too.

That's exactly what I did. Up pipe and AEM intake with a cobb AP. Waiting to put the intake on until i can get a tune later on

Archived