LegacyGT.com

How are you streaming audio via Bluetooth?????

yes i did this last week, it worked great.

you have to pull up the phone book from the nav system and select the option to import contacts. this should put the system in a receiving state.

from here you will have to send the contacts from your phone via Bluetooth. on my Note 3 its as simple as pulling up the contacts page, pressing menu, selecting "share namecards via", select bluetooth, then select the car audio system as it is stated in your BT connections list.

this is kind of a drawn out process but once you do it you will see its pretty self explanatory, the ease of using the phone book while driving is so much better than pulling my phone out. you can also setup voice tags for upto 20 contacts so you can make calls with your voice from the steering wheel.

with that bieng said to each their own, but here in Austin the Police have made it illegal to have a cellphone in your hand while driving.

our HK Nav systems are sorta out dated but they are very robust and I feel they will last the test of time compared to some of the other infotainment systems out there which seem more flashy than anything.

P.S. i think your phone needs to be connected VIA Bluetooth for call support, not just media playback for the upload to work properly.

OHH and if yall havent tried it, DVD playback on this system has fantastic Video quality. My GF and I were super suprised at this on our last road trip. I halfway expected it to be laggy and buggy but it worked great once I figured out the on screen controls.

THANK YOU!!!! 3 years I've been trying to do this and I couldn't even get an answer from the dealer. I just got the Note 4 so I figured I'd ask again. Call quality via BT is better on this phone over my last one (HTC DNA) too.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

I'm wondering if there's a limit to the contacts you can have in there, similar to the limit of songs it will read via the USB.

I tried this last night (thanks for the tip!), and it only downloaded about 400 of my 600 contacts before it "failed". I'll try it again today.

I have my iPhone 4S paired via Bluetooth and it works great. I do find that every once in awhile I have to shut my phone completely off, restart and sometimes resync it to BT devices. It tends to start ignoring controls from the car sometimes.

I'm wondering if there's a limit to the contacts you can have in there, similar to the limit of songs it will read via the USB.

I tried this last night (thanks for the tip!), and it only downloaded about 400 of my 600 contacts before it "failed". I'll try it again today.

thats highly plausible, this system seems to have limits in place on other things such as Voicetags and as you mentioned with the USB drive. with that bieng said I dont recall any limits mentioned in the manual, but i suppose the manual was also quite vague in the BT department.

ive only got 200 contacts in my phone.

My 2011 premium doesn't have blue tooth and I don't really want to replace the radio, I was thinking about adding the media hub:

http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-outback-media-p-2264.html

Has anyone done this before? The instructions seem simple enough but I'd like to hear someones experience with installing it.

I was going back through and saw your post here, if you want bluetooth the easiest way is to get an adapter that hooks to an aux port which your car should already have, I use the blackberry stereo gateway and it works very well. If all you want is to stream music that will do it. Also if you place your phone in handsfree mode it will also have that functionality through the adapter and use your phone mic for input. I do this a lot when I stream music it works very well.

Where did you place the microphone for Bluetooth phone calls?

The 2013 headunit uses the same 2010 microphone, since my 2010 legacy already came with a microphone since it was an hk system in it already. The mic is located nect to the sunglass holder and it works crystal clear.

Ya know, I get nothing but complaints about my call clarity. I have the hk navi system, and unless I'm at a complete stop, people always complain that they can barely here me. I thought the microphone on the 2011 was located right underneath the navi display. ...I'll have to do some checking.

I was going back through and saw your post here, if you want bluetooth the easiest way is to get an adapter that hooks to an aux port which your car should already have, I use the blackberry stereo gateway and it works very well. If all you want is to stream music that will do it. Also if you place your phone in handsfree mode it will also have that functionality through the adapter and use your phone mic for input. I do this a lot when I stream music it works very well.

But if I run the media hub couldn't I control my iPod with the steering wheel controls? Also, I already have the "blue link" hands free for my phone, so that's not an issue.

I'm very interested in finding more information about replacing the head unit with another in order to get BT calls + BT audio/music to work.

Purchased a 2011 2.5i Legacy Limited with the non-nav HK unit. Was bummed to find out that only BT calls worked.

Any more suggestions on what other headunit models to look at?

If all you want is to stream music I would suggest just adding a Bluetooth adapter like those listed on the first page of this thread. I use a blackberry stereo gateway. For $30 it's hard to beat and works great.

You can go with a nav unit or a 2013 or newer unit to incorporate the bt streaming into the headunit. Or use an aftermarket head unit. Non of these options are direct pnp. Just check out the threads on here about changing head units.

I have the Kinivo BTC-450 in my car. It plugs into the aux port and the cigarette lighter inside the center console. It has a little unit that the wires are connected to that includes a microphone for hands free calling as well as a pause/play/voice control button (for siri or google voice) and a forward/backward button for playing music. I wanted a solution that was inexpensive and didn't require replacing the entire head unit and it works wonderfully!!

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2011 Legacy for my daughter, which doesn't have Bluetooth.

Can I just get a 2012-2014 Radio Headunit from ebay (saw several) - and will it just plug in and work? (microphone?)

Thanks!

John

(Just read the above thread about researching head unit replacements - I'll do that!)

I have a 2011 with no nav, no hk, no media hub. I am currently using an aux cable plugged into my iPhone so I can listen to music thru out the car. I am looking to be able to Bluetooth stream my phone and have the stereo control the phone. Bluetooth calling thru the stereo would be nice as well. I have read that the media hub is how I have to go but then any Bluetooth receiver was also recommended. I don't want to spend a ton of money either.

I was actually wondering this same thing.

I have an 11' GT with Navi/HK sound, and it when I cycle through my aux, it SAYS I can stream bluetooth, but it never lets me. I've been meaning to get that checked out. My bluetooth works fine for calls, but no audio streaming.

Anyone else with my same setup have some insight?

Same issue here. Mine's a 12' and the streaming use to work with my iPhone 5. Since upgrading to iPhone 7, I'm unable to connect to stream music. Tried removing old device, connect via Bluetooth to new device but still says it can't connect. Bluetooth phone operation works just fine.

Thinking it may be a firmware issue and haven't taken the time to trouble-shoot.

To get phone BT functionality through the car you will need steering wheel controls and a different headunit. I would recommend an aftermarket head unit and finding the stock steering wheel controls and use an adapter to get them working with the aftermarket head unit.

The bluetooth receiver will only allow playback of audio through the stereo. You would still need to use the phone mic and controls.

Archived