LegacyGT.com

Weird sound when turning

It doesn't happen all the time, but I notice occasionally when I turn left there is a series of clunks, not very loud, I can only hear it if I turn off the radio. Maybe like 1 every half second or so while turning and then it stops after I straighten out the steering wheel.

It doesn't happen all the time either.

I also just noticed that there have been a couple of times where a similar clunk will happen when I turn right, but it is only one clunk, and about the same volume as the other side. Not very loud.

I'm not sure what could be wrong, any ideas? Thanks for any help

Sounds like you have a bad front CV axle or 2 sir. They usually click as you are turning as you describe but stop once going straight. Look to see if you have torn axle boots with alot of grease on the inside of your front wheels.

CV axle. Subieadam is right on. You can get a replacement CV for under $60 at autozone, and it only takes a half hour to an hour to swap depending on your ability. Or you can go to a shop and let them do it.

If you do it yourself, buy a ball joint to replace since you will be removing it to get the knuckle moved enough to pop the cv out. :)

if your ball joints are good, then just hit the knuckle where the ball joint goes through, it'll pop right out, grease EVERYTHING with MARINE grease when you put it all back together, it'll keep out all the water and rust and make everything easier next time. but yes, it sounds like your cv shaft.

OK. I had a torn CV boot about a month or two ago. I told my parents and they made me take it the next day to a shop for them to fix it. They did fix the boot, but do you guys think that they could have fucked something up? It's been about a month since I was there

It depends on if they just replaced the torn boot, or the whole axle.

If they just replaced the boot and re-greased it, there might have been some damage to it.

If they replaced the axle, it could be the other one. I'd check it out. If you go to a parking lot and turn the wheel fully one way and give it a little gas, it'll click pretty good, and you might be able to tell which side it is coming from, assuming you don't see another torn boot.

Archived