LegacyGT.com

Squealing on hard acceleration

Update: I added ATF fluid and the level is now correct (it wasn't too low). The squealing noise is still present. At this point I'm out of ideas and, given the feedback here, will likely just leave it as is. It drives fine and doesn't make a noise unless I'm accelerating hard. Since that's the exception and not the rule I can live with it.

On another note I may have reduced the hard 1 -> 2 shift. I haven't had enough time to confirm this but it's looking promising. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry that it's been a while since I last replied, but since then I've done my timing belt and accessory belts. The source is definitely not belt or tranny related.

However...when I was bored earlier last week I went for a top speed run and ran my OB at 100-110 for close to 30 secs; pedal to the floor. Now the squeal isn't nearly as loud, but still present. I don't know what I did, but the sound is much tolerable now. :)

Sorry that it's been a while since I last replied, but since then I've done my timing belt and accessory belts. The source is definitely not belt or tranny related.

However...when I was bored earlier last week I went for a top speed run and ran my OB at 100-110 for close to 30 secs; pedal to the floor. Now the squeal isn't nearly as loud, but still present. I don't know what I did, but the sound is much tolerable now. :)

I'm not surprised by this. I can see how running the car up to higher speeds may help "break free" whatever it is which is causing the squeal. Though without knowing the cause of the squeal perhaps it's merely a placebo effect.

Thankfully the squeal in my car only occurs on hard acceleration and it's not too loud (if I have the radio on at any reasonable listening level I can't hear it).

Well that answers it. I have come to the conclusion that it IS a whistle. almost like the one in our faulty mufflers. there must be a deposit of some sort on he air in side of engine that is whistling when mass amounts of air are being sucked past it. but when not on throttle the air slows down and stops the whistle. the 100+ run probably wore or broke part of said deposit off and changed the tone. keep us updated if it gets louder with a bunch of normal driving.

Archived