LegacyGT.com

Decent places in SD to live

jj808

My family and I are tired of renting and we are looking for our first home. THe only area I know is Eastlake and its way overpriced for us. Can yall suggest any other areas that are family friendly with a decent commute to North Island for my wife.

Point Loma/Loma Portal; Clairemont/Bay Park; There are some nice areas in North Park, (cheaper) & Mission Hills/Hillcrest. I've lived in all these areas over the past 12ish years, and all of them have different vibes but still have nice neighborhoods.

North Park used to be sketchy, but in the past 10 years there has been a lot of positive changes. Just drive the neighborhoods there it can kind of change street to street.

Houses in Pt. Loma/Loma Portal are horrendously expensive for what you get. Mission Hills/HillCrest have looked to be the same. Any particular part of North Park you are thinking of? With our limit of $350k the only thing for sale is an 1100 sq ft house that is in default. Not something i want to get into at all.

If Eastlake is too expensive... Maybe try the other direction and go north. Like all the way to Temecula. 3 years ago (at the low point) you could buy 5000sqft homes on 1/4 acre in Murrieta for $350k. I know, because I bought one.

Spring Valley. La Mesa. National City. Bonita. There are a few nice areas in those parts of the city. Just depends on the price you're looking for. I used to live in golden hills, very convenient, close to north island. Good luck!

350k is our limit and from what we have seen so far in SD that will get us shit. Either its a shithole that needs to be razed or its a 2bd/1bath shoebox. This is very aggravating. WE have thought about Temecula but an hour commute 1 way is just plain ridiculous.

We have decided upon the Avalon Condos in Eastlake. It maintains our commute, the schools in the area are awesome and it within our budget for our VA loan for a NEW condo. I mean it's "not even finished yet" new. Yea, its a 3 bedroom condo but thats ******* better than a 50yr old shithole for the same price in an area that i won't even drive through on a dare.

PS...Its bigger than the shitholes too with a 2 car garage. Ill only have to share one wall with a neighbor which i can live with.

Thanks! CAnt wait for all the financial stuff to be finalized and we expect to move in some time in Nov or Dec at the latest. I can live with that for sure.

i never understood the whole 'commute an hour to work to save money' theory. so you save $500 a month on rent/mortgage, then spend that same amount on gas, let alone all that time away from family. just to live in a house that's 200 sq ft larger and in a worse neighborhood. someone please enlighten me.

live on coronado. it's dope.

You save FAR more than $500 per month.

For instance I save over $1500 per month compared to a similar sized dwelling on the coast. I LOL at 200sqft more. When I purchased my home, houses in Oceanside the same price were 3000sq ft smaller. Yards were 5000sq ft smaller.

Community I live in is FAR cleaner and safer than Oceanside. O'side crime index = 262.2, Murrieta crime index = 149.3 (higher number means more crime)

Commute adds 35-60 minutes (depends on traffic). Est cost of fuel/oil/etc to be +$500 per month more over living next to the shop. Extra time away from family = zero, I already work 80-100 hours per week regardless of distance to shop. I see family 1 day per week (Sunday).

Also, cost of living for food, fuel, etc is lower than on the coast. Electricity rates, gas rates, water rates, insurance rates are all lower. Propery taxes are slightly higher, but we have better roads, schools, policing, community activities, etc.

Yes, I prefer to live on the coast for the weather, but I also prefer to keep more of my money and have a happier, safer family..

Archived