LegacyGT.com

Trailer Hitch Clearance

I went to the local rack and road to have them put a trailer hitch on my 2007 GT sedan. After I picked it up I realized there was very little road clearance and the hitch bottoms out when I go into most driveways. I called them back and they are willing to take it back (good customer service). I asked them if there are any others with less clearance. They called the manf (hidden hitch/draw tie) and they said there is only that hitch model that only gives 5 3/4" clearance to the ground.

Does anyone know if the stock hitch gives better clearance? Or is it the same aftermarket part from draw tie. The people at the Subaru said they will call Subaru America on Mon to find out, but hoping for more experienced answer here.

Elos

HitchPhoto.thumb.jpg.7ca96d38dc45be9e20fb87d9322cf143.jpg

If you need something now, the stock Subaru hitch gives one of the best clearance. The only one better IIRC is the round-tube Hidden Hitch, but that style was discontinued. I can grab a pic of my OE hitch if you like.

There is a mod you can do to gain some ground Clearence , you basically cut a channel in the plate that attaches to the tow loop. This allows you to install on the top of the loop instead of the bottom. This does compromise the the tow hitch, so I would not tow, but bike racks and cargo racks should be fine. You can search for pictures on the forums

Archived