LegacyGT.com

Throttle position sensor - Puzzler

I am having problems with high idle in my 97 legacy 5MT. It started after a drive through car wash this winter. The idle would be rough and be ~1500RPM. when driving (65mph = ~3000RPM) and I push in the clutch, the RPMs would hang and stay high, taking a good 10 seconds to come to idle again around ~1500. But then some days it would be find again, idling correctly at 700. Lately it's a crap shoot whether it will be high or normal idle, and more recently, it might start out normal, then after about 30 minutes of driving, would start to creep up again and stay high.

A couple times when it was at 1500, I pulled the plug on the TPS while it was running, the idle didn't change much but then i'd plug it back in and it'd go down to 700 and be OK for a bit. Also sometimes if the car is parked for 30 minutes and I drive it again, the rpms are back to normal.

So. . . is it the TPS, the wiring, or something else? I pulled the plug and checked and it has a good ground, and gets 0.5V. But i haven't plugged it in and stuck a pin in the wire to check for actual throttle position vs. volts. Any ideas?

Archived