LegacyGT.com

Shift lever stuck in drive in 05 Legacy

Hi all,

I searched the web and it seems that it is common for the lever to be stuck in park but not in drive. Also, I had experience with broken linkage when the shifter moves freely but the transmission is stuck in park. So, what can it be? I wasn't there, but basically the driver was trying to park the car when noticed that she couldn't switch to reverse. Then she noticed that she couldn't switch to park either. At that point she turned the car off and realized that now she couldn't take the key out because the car was in drive! The car is being towed as I am writing this. The towing guy managed to switch it to neutral somehow. I am afraid he applied force and perhaps broke something...

Thanks

Hi all,

but basically the driver was trying to park the car when noticed that she couldn't switch to reverse. Then she noticed that she couldn't switch to park either. At that point she turned the car off and realized that now she couldn't take the key out because the car was in drive! The car is being towed as I am writing this. The towing guy managed to switch it to neutral somehow. I am afraid he applied force and perhaps broke something...

Thanks

A maid AND a guy for everything? :lol:

Sounds like your neutral switch is faulty.

is it a wagon? if so the wiring harness at the top of the tailgate can chafe and short out, blow a fuse, and the brake lights won't work. then the interlock won't let you shift without the brake signal. i know this usually happens in park, but i suppose it's possible in your case too...?
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Yes, it is a wagon... My mechanic found some broken plastic pieces in the shifter assembly. He got it working but recommends to replace the whole assembly. I have already bought one on ebay. The question remains how and why it happened... I wonder if the towing guy broke it when forcing the car into neutral and the real problem is somewhere else...

Glad you got it fixed! you might want to double check that the brake lights are still working though... this is the situation I was thinking of, please see post #6
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Archived