LegacyGT.com

horrible mpg 4-12 miles per gallon no cel

I would see if your knock sensor is good. A bad knock sensor would cause extra fuel to be dumped into the engine to try to mitigate what could be false knock, and I believe you said the car is running horrible until the upper revs. When my knock sensor failed on my 1999 Impreza 2.2l, it caused my engine to be gutless until about 1500 RPM and would also get horrible gas mileage. I did have a knock sensor code, but maybe yours isn't that bad yet? Worth a shot swapping with the parts car... just make sure you orient the knock sensor the same way it was when you swap it.

Sorry, you're correct, I was thinking about pulled timing due to knock events which will cause more unburned fuel than normal, as the engine is trying to prevent detonation. Also, playing off your circuitry issues theory, it could be a broken ground somewhere giving an incorrect reading to the sensors/ECU. Maybe a grounding kit would be in order, as I hear this generation Legacy has horrible grounds anyways.

They do have bad grounding from the factory, that's every generation I have owned at one point up to 3rd. Best thing to do is ditch all the factory grounds and go with 8ga. or thicker to the block, i/m, each head, and transmission from the factory ground locations or locate your own off the strut towers and frame rails. There is a noticeable difference right when you start your car, brighter dash lights, even idle and stereo will even sound better. I'm only thinking ecu and circuit issues because of the r+r of the many parts and still no change, fusebox grounds or cut insulation on some wires would cause these problems as well. I on one hand don't know much about automotive electrical so I would probably over look a few things.

From my perspective strange things happens with the fuel injection system if the MAP sensor get stuck resulting in either too lean or too rich mixture. The throttle position sensor is sometimes also a culprit.

At least you have done a compression test, so it's a good start. Try to find a different MAP sensor from a junkyard to get it cheap and try to replace it first.

And there might not be a CEL on the sensor because it's just stuck in a certain position which means that it's within the range of what the ECU thinks it should have.

453747.png

i already did grounds and added more. i switched ecu and it 3 different codes and then fuel pump died car wont start back up and something is back feeding power cuz w key in off position and out some dash lights still on i got the new clutch and flywheel in my civic hatch so legacy is in garage and about to under construction.... 5 speed swap and and manual intake manifold w all new sensors and if it dont right after that im just gonna light up in flames n roll down the road lol.....

if your fuel pump died gracefully and degraded over time I have read about poor spray pattern due to lower than ideal fuel pressure requiring additional fuel to be used to get decent combustion. Hopefully all you need to do is change the pump

• 4 weeks later...
ok so fuel pump never died had a bad ground on intake manifold for engine harness, fuel pump fixed, but stalling problem still exist. ok so heres the deal car was auto now 5 speed as of 2 weeks ago. i changed im from manual 98 2.2l (no egr), put all new sensors and and new injectors in it, new sensors on shock tower, new cam and crank and knock sensor, all sensors, solenoids, vacuum lines under hood are brand new, new oem subaru cats and sensors. i checked all the lines vacuum and fuel lines from driver shock tower to fuel tank no leaks that i can find but now i got a code for p0441 went away for a day ive checked my fsm for vacuum routing they are all right. this problem has been goin on since i got the car in september last year and this is the first cel i have gotten since then besides one o2 sensor. everybody says the vents and solenoids on or near gas tank wont effect how the car runs but i dont believe it, here is a link to my instagram so u can hear how it sounds..... http://instagram.com/p/pDhg2EGMZ0/

Archived