LegacyGT.com

HVAC test mode or reset? Fan seems to be slower than normal.

Hi guys,

I have a 2008 2.5i Limited with about 69K on it. I'm the original owner and haven't hardly put a dime into the car except for the scheduled maintenance, quite a bit of it I have done myself.

Anyway I accidentally left the map lights on one night a week ago and the next morning my battery was totally dead. I had to get to work so I put a charger on it and tried to use the 20A quick start mode - not even a crank. I ended up jumping my car off another car I have and that worked. Unfortunately the deep discharge killed off my original battery so I just put a new one in yesterday.

Now today, it's quite hot, about 90F, and it just felt like my A/C was blowing with less force than usual when it was on auto and full blast. It's cold as always, but the air speed seems less. I ended up pulling the cabin air filter and it was definitely time to change it. I put a new one in and I think it's better but for some reason I think the fan is still a bit slow. It also seems to be inconsistent in speed at high fan settings - it feels like it might change 5% or so up and down. I'm about to pull the fan to see if it's dirty.

I thought I read there was a diagnostic test you could perform with some key dance or something on the climate control. I can't find information on it and I've been searching for at least 30 minutes.

Any help? Anyone else seen this problem?

Just an update, I pulled out the fan last night to inspect it, no signs of corrosion or water , looked good. I blew it out with compressed air by removing the bottom screw and opening the little trap door. A surprising amount of black dust came out. The wheel turns freely with no noise or rough feel, but it doesn't freewheel as long as it seems like it should but what do I know. Put it back together but no time to really test it again yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Thanks, it turns out my fan was dying. It was hard to determine without a replacement next to it for A/B comparison. I am out of town and no time for a Rock Auto order. I got one from O'Reilly (VDO with lifetime) for $100. Once I plugged it in and tried it it was obvious the OEM fan was slower and at high speed varied in speed a couple percent intermittently. New fan in and all is good!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Archived