LegacyGT.com

a/f learning questions /assist.

AMileHighLGT

I recenetly purchased this 06 LGT, and i have been running down small things with it since the day i purchased, which has not been a problem, I work in a shop and have all the necessary tools. I got into data logging here recently after finally getting the vag com cable and rr operational on win8.

I was having an issue initially with a/f learning a approaching nearly +20, i do not have the ltv snapshot of this, however, i ran down what i thought that issue was caused by. At 102k the oe intake boot had oil rot at the compressor inlet. I replaced that reset the ecu and had a nice low +4 a/f learn a. Then one day i had the blue tee blow apart, fixed that and reset ecu. just recently i logged again and I had an a/f learning a of +11.10.

Today at the shop when i had a break i smoked my intake, and i had found what was a very small leak back in the intake boot where the pcv rebreaths. Snugged that up and reset the ecu. Did not get a chance to log until my home tonight. I am now seeing a a/f learn of 14.7. I can smoke my car and i did after snugging that pcv plastic connection back into the intake boot. I didn't see a wiff of smoke. From what I have read here is that a/f learning a high is usually before the compressor inlet leak. Now is this USUALLY or this always?

I ask for two reasons.

One i suspect my bpv gasket may be leaking. I hear a lot of boost noise upfront of the driver, like massive air leak.

Two, when i replaced my intake boot i removed the bolts from my upper plenum inorder for some clearance, i did not pull the plenum out. I checked the oring gaskets with a mirror before reinstall, I am certain they did not roll out.. however with 102k, that may have been enough to make them leak.

My next question, what would be the best way to test the bpv for leaking to atmosphere? Again, i can smoke it, do i need to apply vacuum to it first?

Our smoke machine at the shop is regulated at 3 psi, the regulator is not adjustable, so I cannot perform a boost leak test. Shop air is rated at 150 psi, I cannot regulate in my bay, I suspect i could pressurize the intake if i am careful with the air i apply through a blow gun, however this is not ideal to me.

Ideas or suggestions? I don't want this thing running lean, especially with 102k, and their prevalence of eating ring lands.

Thank you in advance

5-15-14--1.png.aadb5d8a24d53f99bcb52147d73f57e3.png

5-19-14--1.png.b9c3b0e6c688c0c4f38a37b1dd06886c.png

Interesting... It seems like a couple people have been having this problem including myself. I tuned mine large trim out, but I'm wondering if it could be bad batches of summer gas coming out to stations. I'm not sure why it would only affect the A trim if that were the case though. I also have a confirmed leaky/stuck injector so that might be my cause too. I'm just throwing out suggestions but a vac leak would be my initial diagnosis.

How does the car idle?

Car idles fine, so I'm not sure if its a real vacuum leak or more likely a boost leak, however I still don't fully understand the ranges for a b c d, watching logs it seems to only adjust that a on idle, so I'm split between vacuum or boost leaking.. I'm sure I've ruled out a vacuum leak.

I'm starting to wonder about the Max g/s my maf is putting out. I'm seeing a max of 168 at wot on the 1-2 shift. Also curious about the upstream a/f sensor.

If anyone who is stock has any idea what a good Maf puts out at the 1-2 shift at w.o.t. it would be much appreciated to pass that on. Being in Denver it wont be as high as others around the country.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

168 g/a sounds about right in first gear. My car does 280 something in 3rd gear at wot with a vf52. The A range of learning is only idle and very very light loads. B is cruising, C is light acceleration and D is moderate to heavy acceleration.

Each letter corresponds to a flow range that it's applying the correction to. So A correction is only applied when your maf is reading 0-6g/s which would be idle and light throttle decel in lower gears.

For shits and grins i replaced teh bpv gasket reset ecu and drove at lunch today. So far its better slightly but still not right. A learning is 9.20

Still have a leak somewhere, can really hear it under boost and compared to an 08 i worked on today its leaking badly. My guess is the throttle body duct, but it is still not leaking any smoke. Ive already removed the end caps that tear and blow out. Going to remove the ic later and see whats up.

Items that have been replaced:

Turbo to intercooler o-ring

Intercooler to throttle body hose

Intake tube on turbo inlet

BPV gasket

I am still damn near maxed in the a/f learning A.

And with the new intercooler to throttle body hose I am once again getting the high pitched whistle momentarily at lift throttle thats the same as I had that made me ditch those rubber couplers on the old one.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Friday afternoon it was slow enough here at work to replace the intake manifold gaskets, friday night, driving home, recorded a LV all trims nice between +-5%. Saturday morning, driving up a very small hill, hear a pop and an air leak... From that point on my d trim went -15% and never left. Saturday i replaced both clamps on the throttle body hose with t bolt clamps, with no change.

Perfrmed a boost leak test this morning at work, and I found that the plastic end tank on the turbo side of intercooler blew. In the process of jb welding it together now, i am hoping someone local has a stock tmic they wont mind getting rid of.

How many have had a stock tmic fail? As far as i know i am running stock boost level. I have seen no more than 12 psi, ever. Maybe a prior owner went stage 1?

I've seen the bulletproof kits that barmanbean sells. I was under the impression that these tmic's only had failures after boost levels were increased, but now that i have searched tmic failures, i see many have had this issue with stock setups.

Thanks for your help Rally, out of all these page views you're the only one..

Mods can close the topic

Archived