LegacyGT.com

Guide: How to fix holes/cracks in Stock winter floor mats

2-Ton

Don't know If anyone else has experienced this, but my stock winter rubber mats on my legacy had holes and cracks in them. I am really cheap and did not want to throw them out or replace them so I tried melting them back together and it worked great. Ob you can make this more exact with more tools but I am a minimalist so this is what I used.

Here is what I did.

You will need;

A spoon

A lighter or a kitchen stove or both

A knife

The rubber on these is actually pretty malleable if you heat metal and remelt it. I tried other solutions including shoe glue and epoxy but both where not great solutions this worked for me.

Heat the spoon and knife on the stove top at maximum heat.

"just the tip" :D

Once they are good and hot and the mats are clean and dry, use the spoon or knife depending on the type and position of the crack to remelt and bond the rubber back together, the mats are pretty thick so you can melt rubber from the thicker areas to where you need it if that spot is shallow, the spoon is good for the round spots and flat surfaces and the knife is good for running down cracks and sealing behind as it goes.

If your not getting enough heat from the stove then use it to preheat the tips then finish the heat up with the lighter. you get about 30 seconds to a minute work time each go-around.

All it all it worked pretty well, will post after pictures later on if anyone wants me to. Don't know how long it will work but if it cracks again ill do the same thing of find some compatible rubber I can bond onto it.

Congrats you mats are now waterproof again.

Archived