LegacyGT.com

Not happy

After reading about a members cv boot problems I thought I would go and have a look at my own, that I had just replaced late last year. Expecting to see no problems I was very surprised to see one of the boots completely split in two. What's this crap, it's only 8 months old and the cars only done 8 thousand ks since it was put on. I rang the store that I bought it from and they acted like this shouldn't of happened and that they will be able to replace it with some new type of boot called a strectchy boot. Forget that crap, I want my money back and I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place and go to Subaru for the genuine part. What's going on with the rubbish that these shops are trying flog off on us. The original boot lasted for 222 thousand ks. This new one lasted for only 8. :mad:

Honestly, people think I'm wasting a lot of money throwing OEM parts on an old car (usually through SubaruPartsForYou)... and I'm sure that - to some degree - they are right.

Having said that, it's nice to replace a part and not have to worry in the back of your mind whether it was a decent enough part that it will last. Everything I put on the car WILL last for a LONG time, which means I can permanently cross it off the list of things to go wrong.

It is hard throwing a lot of money at an older car. My Legacy is is a good solid car and I just spent $300 having a wheel bearing replaced (and that's only 1 out of 4 of them), and since my mechanic couldn't hear the noise himself, I'm hoping he replaced the right one.

But if you use OEM parts , hopefully the part will last another 16 years.

Also, we LOVE these cars...

Some parts should be bought through the dealer like sensors, oil seals and especially headgaskets for the 2.5s. Other parts like suspension, brakes, tune up parts and even waterpump can be bought aftermarket. With waterpumps I will only buy new ones never remans. While I've had many sensors and oil seals fail prematurely or not work out of the boxes and that's why I never buy these types of parts aftermarket.

I'll even buy timing belts aftermarket long as their Gates brand. Thermostats should always be oem. I've had far too many aftermarket ones fail quick and have even had one of those fail safes fail in the closed position when their suppose to fail open.

Yeah. Agreed. I guess I should revise my previous statement to say that I don't buy CHEAP aftermarket parts. Struts are KYB, lots of Moog parts in the suspension, Centric rotors, etc...

But believe you me I am not going to save money by spending $60 on a cheap, aftermarket axle with nothing but bad reviews.

I went back to the shop that I bought it from and they gave me my money back just like that. I said don't you even want to check that I'm telling the truth, the cars just outside. No, we take your word for it. He wasn't even surprised that it had split. He even went on to tell me that people these days want everything for a cheap price and that qualily is suffering because of it. I got my $28 bucks back and went to Subaru and bought their part for $47. I told them that I don't mind paying more if the quality of the part is going to be good, otherwise I'm going to be back because $47 is a lot to pay for a cv boot. Warranty is two years, but I expect it to last a lot longer than that.

I have a OEM subaru reboot kit for sale brand new in the package if needed. Also check out the Axles I have for sale in the Classifieds. Thanks

Don't know about that. I live in New Zealand.

Remanufactured OEM axles are really the best option though. Especially if you want to avoid the idle vibration issues that a lot of aftermarket axles will introduce.

I disagree 100%. I work on cars everyday and I really never see any issues with aftermarket new axles. Also the vibration problem only is with aftermarket reman axles. How much does a dealer want for reman axles?

I had aftermarket front axles in my car and it suffered from a terrible case of idle vibration. Putting OEM parts in the car solved that problem, and I know there are lots of folks with the same experience.

A remanufactured axle from SubaruPartsForYou is 169.99.

I disagree 100%. I work on cars everyday and I really never see any issues with aftermarket new axles. Also the vibration problem only is with aftermarket reman axles. How much does a dealer want for reman axles?

As a mechanic does it surprise you that this cv boot should split in two after only 10 months. I'm not a mechanic, but I have replaced a lot of cv boots over the years and this is the first time that I have seen one fall to bits so fast. I know it was brand new, but how long was it sitting around before I bought it. I know it wasn't off the shelf because they didn't have one, so they opened up a box with the cv joint and boot in it, and took the boot out then sold it to me. God knows now long that cv kit had been just sitting around. Maybe it was old from just sitting around. I don't know. I'm just interested in knowing why it died so quickly ? :confused:

Just finished putting a new boot on. I got it from Subaru, made in Japan. It's the same as the old one and went on just perfect. It took me three and a half hours to do, that's from start to wash up. Examining the aftermaket one it seemed to be thinner and smaller, not as long as the original and completely split in two. I'm going to be real careful when looking at this aftermarket stuff from now on.

The boot that split on your subaru probably was listed to fit 30 vehicles. 25 it probably fit well and 5 it didn't fit so well. but it did "fit" so they listed it for that application because that means sales and $.

don't skimp on drivetrain components most of the time a better subaru axle can be found at the junkyard vs having some re manufactured unit that's made out of a daewoo or some lemon domestic vehicle

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Archived